SEKIU

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
verrinne
Compulsive Diver

SEKIU

Post by verrinne »

I have returned from a weekend at sekiu helping the M.A.S.T. center with a clean up of there marina, the water was a nice 54°f and about 20+ foot visability.
On Sunday we went for a fun dive I was partnered with the greatful diver and it was awesome we dove off the point of sekiu amazing life. Also got to see UW's research vessel the Tommy Thomson.
From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.-Jacques-Yves Cousteau
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: SEKIU

Post by ScubaJess »

Nice! Sorry I missed it. Glad you had a great time!!! :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I have made several trips out there in the last 6 months .... I love the diving on the coast , from Neah bay , to salt creek ... my favorite site there is the reef out at Kydaka Point !!! such a great dive .... Im heading back soon
sieku rocks.JPG
Image5.jpg
IMG_1482.JPG
IMG_1485.JPG
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Chris: It has been years since I dived Sekiu, but I don't remember a carpet of urchins such a you show. Do you think that could be a result of seastar wasting?
-Curt
Happy to be alive.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Yes... Curt ... There were thousands of purple urchins off of Slip Point , they were in the shallows eating coraline algae ... Ive never seen so many urchins like that out there on the coast... I will try to get my video done here soon, and you can see the amazing sights of that picture
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

There is a specific spot at Salt Creek, a depression in the reef that you traverse on your way in/out through the kelp forest. It is memorable and unmistakable due to the fact that it's bottom is carpeted with purple urchins. It's comforting to find as we are navigating our way back to the exit point, as it confirms that we're heading the right way. We noticed this several years ago, long before SSWD was noted.