Orca Pod in Hood Canal at Octopus Hole (5/8)

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
trekdiv3r
Just Settling In

Orca Pod in Hood Canal at Octopus Hole (5/8)

Post by trekdiv3r »

I had heard that an Orca pod was seen in Hood Canal. I didn't expect to see them on our dive at Octopus Hole Sunday (5/8) but we got lucky. While we were gearing up a group of 3 Hoodsport locals pulled over with binoculars and told us they were heading this way. We saw them at about 9:30 a.m. swimming north in the middle of the Canal.

One of the locals (whose friends said he was an Orca enthusiast) told us that its been about 10 years since Orcas had been seen in the Hood Canal. He guessed that it could be the same pod that was here then. He also said that these were a mammal eating pod as opposed to the fish eating pod in the San Juan Islands and that they were hunting sea lions, and that the pod ventures into the open ocean.

We also saw other vehicles "chasing" them up the coast and pulling over on the side of Hwy 101 with binoculars.

We also had two nice dives, viz was good from surface to 30 feet, and also from 50 feet and deeper, but really terrible between that. Since we dove at a -2.86 low tide we ventured deeper than the main wall to check out the sea whips.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Orca Pod in Hood Canal at Octopus Hole (5/8)

Post by Penopolypants »

What an amazing experience!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

That's so cool! Did you also see the squat lobsters?
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
trekdiv3r
Just Settling In

Post by trekdiv3r »

ScubaJess wrote:That's so cool! Did you also see the squat lobsters?
Yes, they were there as well! I also saw my first snailfish.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

trekdiv3r wrote: One of the locals (whose friends said he was an Orca enthusiast) told us that its been about 10 years since Orcas had been seen in the Hood Canal. He guessed that it could be the same pod that was here then. He also said that these were a mammal eating pod as opposed to the fish eating pod in the San Juan Islands and that they were hunting sea lions, and that the pod ventures into the open ocean.
They have identified three populations of Orca in Puget Sound. The resident population feeds exclusively on salmon. The transients feed on pinnipeds. Since they pass through irregularly, our seals and sea lions become pretty complacent. These Orca treat their hauling out places as a buffet. The third population, the pelagics, appear in Puget Sound least often. They are the ones you've seen on TV attacking gray whales.
Cool sighting.
-Curt :rawlings:
Happy to be alive.
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Gdog and I were at Day Island a week ago. One of the residents said an Orca pod had swum by within the last week, through the Tacoma narrows. He made it sound like seeing them in the area was a pretty rare occurrence.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Wow, so cool, and what great info oldsalt!