Columbia River Scuba Diving

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Steiger
Avid Diver

Columbia River Scuba Diving

Post by Steiger »

I heard that there were groups of people who dive in the Kennewick area regularly and I was wondering if anyone had any information on how I can attend these dives, I live in Yakima and would like to get more diving under my belt and running to the Seattle area or Hoodsport isn't something I can do all the time. Any information you have would be great. Thanks

Steiger
Dive_Girl
Frequent Bubbler

Re: Columbia River Scuba Diving

Post by Dive_Girl »

Steiger - I recommend checking in with the crew at Undersea Adventures in Kennewick (http://www.underseaadventures.net/). I had the pleasure of conducting an Instructor courses for several of their professionals a few years ago. In to diving the river we also dove the missile silo. Both had their charms, the silo more so than the river but it was November (brrrrrrrrr). I have yet to make it back in the Summer but would like to rediscover the river with them. They tell me I'll see sturgeon! :D
If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu.
http://www.pnwscuba.com
http://www.sevenseasscuba.com
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

I have never dove that end of the river, but I have dove the north end, because it is where I live. For us it is a place to train and practice, but not much else. Up on this end there is nothing to see but mud, stumps and rocks. In some places there are old foundations from the towns before Grand Coulee was put in, but are hard to access.

I work in Yakima and I have been trying to find any local places to dive and it sounds like there isnt anything. Yakima does have an active dive group and they post on this board, but it looks like they mostly dive at Hoodsport. They have monthly meetings in Yakima at local restaurants, but they are held on days I work, so I have never been to one. I would assume with all the water around Yakima there would be some semi fun local spot to go, I know there are lots of little lakes in my area and some offer a reason to go.

If you do find somewhere local let me know and I would join you.

I don't have anything for Yakima, or close, other then the silo, but the link in my signature deals with PWN inland diving sites.
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Is there a calendar or regular day/time that the group meets in Yakima?
PapaZ
Compulsive Diver

Post by PapaZ »

Thanks for posting the links to the Yakima Dive Club.
Unfortunately, locally, the river is too shallow and the nearby ponds & lakes are very poor viz, usually less than 3 feet. Heavy algae growth and mud/silt.
So, most of our club diving is either in Puget Sound or Hood Canal.
If anyone is interested, as posted to our web site and Facebook page, we are diving at Sarg Hubbard Pond this Saturday, the 11th, 10 AM, for our annual 'pond clean-up'. All invited to drop in and see what is going on. Meet some of the local divers.
Oh, as usual for the area, we expect the great viz to be about 2 or 3 feet until we stir up the silt.
:partydance:
Steiger
Avid Diver

Post by Steiger »

Thanks for the pointers I will have to see with Underseas Adventures, Ive been by their shop once and they told me they have a newsletter that annouces planned dives. So I guess I need to make it out to one of their house club meetings.
Steiger
Avid Diver

Post by Steiger »

PapaZ wrote: Oh, as usual for the area, we expect the great viz to be about 2 or 3 feet until we stir up the silt.
:partydance:
Great day and great turnout. I found a skateboard but after about 4 minutes trying to pull it out of the mud and getting silted out I called it.
Steiger
Avid Diver

Post by Steiger »

Nwcid wrote:But the link in my signature deals with PWN inland diving sites.
This is Awesome!
Steiger
Avid Diver

Post by Steiger »

This is Awesome!
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Steiger wrote:
This is Awesome!
Thanks. I have been slacking on it lately, life got in the way.

If you know of any good areas to add just let me know.
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/