Kitsap Dive Club

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
slonda828
Just Settling In

Kitsap Dive Club

Post by slonda828 »

Hi everyone,

A bunch of divers who live in Kitsap county put together a meetup so we can plan our dives and be social. It's called Kitsap Dive Club, and the link is here:

http://www.meetup.com/kitsapDiveClub/

We don't sell anything, we do not represent any one dive shop, and our sole purpose is to plan, prepare, and execute dives. We have an instructor on staff for training or to guide dives, or if you want refresher training as well. We try to dive 2 times a month, plus meet up for a pub dive where we have food and talk shop. We try to hold our events in different parts of the county so that we always end up doing one near where you live. We are currently about 40 divers deep, with people from as far away as Joint Base Lewis McChord and Redmond.

I'm not a forum regular here, so I hope that this is not against the TOS and if it is please let me know and I will gladly place this in the correct forum or whatever I need to do to be in compliance. I would encourage you to join us for some dives. We don't charge any money or anything, and we frequently end up cooking food or dining out after our dives. We have plenty of extra gear if you want to try something new or just need a borrow regulator or computer while yours is in the shop getting serviced. If you just moved here, or if you are stationed here, then we will be happy to show you around the sound.

I would be happy to answer any questions that you may have, and I hope to see you on our meetup and at the dive sites. It's my hope that we add an option to those of you who are in King county who want to dive in Kitsap, and vice versa for us. Wherever you live, and whatever your experience level, we would be happy to dive with you.

Best to you all :partyman: ,

Slonda828
“From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.”
-JYC
scubamamacita
Avid Diver

Re: Kitsap Dive Club

Post by scubamamacita »

Why hello there! Here is a photo of the last dive Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slonda828
Just Settling In

Post by slonda828 »

Scubamamacita will tell you that we are a very welcoming, if slightly irreverent, group of divers. We are welcoming of everyone, their significant others, and their pets. You have to put up with my yappy Jack Russel Terrier though, for reals.
“From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.”
-JYC
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Hey I recognize one of those divers!
Hey James.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
rcontrera
Aquaphile

Post by rcontrera »

Are you guys resurrecting the KDA? My wife and I helped get that started over 30 years ago when we had a dive shop and they let the Non-Profit status lapse in 2013.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

I think your group would make a welcome addition to our club, in a great area. You might as well settle in and join our board.
scubamamacita
Avid Diver

Post by scubamamacita »

Sebastian and I ADORE @slonda828 and James! We have such a great time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Howdy, and welcome!
I would love to hear some of the plans and trip reports from out there!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
slonda828
Just Settling In

Post by slonda828 »

Thanks Gdog, that's very gracious of you. We will likewise steer people here as well. The more the merrier, and sometimes it is still tough to get enough people to have a good dive, even with 40 divers. It's herding cats for sure.

Rcontrera, we are not affiliated with any KDA or any legal entities. We are just a meetup. I think a lot of us are trying to avoid the overhead that comes with formalizing a club. Every other formal dive club I have been a member of has gone under, so I question how sustainable a non-profit club with dues and such is these days. That is all just my personal opinion, and not a reflection of anyone else who dives with us. That's also not an indictment of formal dive clubs. If anyone wanted to go through the trouble of appointing officers and dealing with money, more power to them.

Yelloweye, We post our trips and details on our Meetup page. Many of us, like many of you I'm sure, are very busy with work, family, etc. I think we are going to keep the Meetup where we flesh out the details of our profiles, our gas management plans, our turn pressures, our rock bottom planning, our deco schedules for tech dives, etc. You are welcome to join the Meetup, as is everyone. We also brief our dives straight off the slate at the dive site, so if you attend one of our dives you will receive a full dive briefing in accordance with the PADI dive briefing slate, word for word. It kind of goes without saying, but we change what we do depending on who shows up, their comfort level, etc. No plan survives first contact with the enemy and all that.

I will pop in here just to post when we have a dive coming up, so people can come if they would like to do so. Our next dive is August 27th @ Harper's Fishing Pier in Port Orchard. Here is the link:

http://www.meetup.com/kitsapDiveClub/events/233143520/

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Slonda828
-JYC
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

slonda828 wrote:Thanks Gdog, that's very gracious of you. We will likewise steer people here as well.

I will pop in here just to post when we have a dive coming up, so people can come if they would like to do so. Our next dive is August 27th @ Harper's Fishing Pier in Port Orchard. Here is the link:

http://www.meetup.com/kitsapDiveClub/events/233143520/

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Slonda828
Post those details in the dive planning thread, so those folks wanting to dive your way can easily find the info.