Dive Logs

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Auzauviir
Just Settling In

Dive Logs

Post by Auzauviir »

I have a scubapro aladin tech 3h, and until I updated to Windows 10, I was doing fine using my RFID dongle. But now the drivers are messed up, and from what I can tell, I'm not getting a fix any time soon.

So I'm curious what the rest of you use to track your dives. The scubapro software is complete crap, since I can't seem to manually log a dive that happened before I got the gear. Having a paper dive log is just a bad idea for me. Ideally, I'd love to have an app that could interface with my dive computer, but I feel like I might be asking too much. Since I can't get that, is there a good iOs app out there that people would recommend I use to manually log my dives? I've looked at a few of them, but the market is pretty pathetic, it seems. And I'm not sure I'm willing to spend $14 on an app without someone telling me it's totally worth it.
bradmond
Submariner

Dive Logs

Post by bradmond »

I use sub surface, my brother uses divelogs. I haven't used divelogs very much but may look into it more. Not sure if this helps being that you're asking for an app but I thought I'd share anyway.

https://en.divelogs.de/

https://subsurface-divelog.org/
Auzauviir
Just Settling In

Re: Dive Logs

Post by Auzauviir »

Thanks. Since i'm fairly new to diving, i figure i'd at least like to know how many i've done. Plus....science or something like that. :)
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

I use an Excel spreadsheet.
log_template.xls
A template for my Excel dive log.
(142.5 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

60south wrote:I use an Excel spreadsheet.
log_template.xls
Same here. I've tried 5+ logs and they all have either too much crap or not enough. Plus I use several different dive computers and all use their own format. I started using a spreadsheet from the beginning and thank goodness I did, because I would have lost a lot of dives. The industry has tried to standardize, but uploading past dives to a new computers log or software is a mess and never works properly. Excel is easy and flexible, put it on Dropbox and you can access from your smartphone too :)

www.jessemillerphotography.com
Auzauviir
Just Settling In

Post by Auzauviir »

Its a good thing I love me some excel spreadsheets. I might adapt it to Google drive so I have an online version, and since I probably won't be doing pivot tables or advanced calculus.

Mmmmmm....Pivot tables.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Auzauviir wrote:Its a good thing I love me some excel spreadsheets. I might adapt it to Google drive so I have an online version, and since I probably won't be doing pivot tables or advanced calculus.

Mmmmmm....Pivot tables.
Oh yeah, love pivot tables. :)

www.jessemillerphotography.com
Echo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Echo »

Pen & paper :)
-Erika
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

I used colored pens and paper for a long time. Made sketches, maps, glued-in pictures, stickers, signatures, stamps, you name it! It was a work of art.

But it got so big.... and so valuable to me... that I was afraid to take it anywhere. Yikes.

A spreadsheet isn't anywhere near as creative. Borrrring. But it does let you easily search for information, calculate statistics, it travels well, you can make backups, and it can morph and adapt as your diving advances.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Im still using a dive log, but long ago I searched and found a logpage that I liked, and I simply have them printed at a printshop 100 at a time as needed.
SwamiMacGyver
Just Settling In

Post by SwamiMacGyver »

I love http://divinglog.de/. He has a Windows app and apps for Android, iOS, and Windows Phone. It's not free, but it is fantastic. It's great to have access to my logs on all devices and backed up to the cloud. My real dive log got soaked in some water recently. It turns out that many of my pages were water-resistant, but a few weren't... My electronic logs survived, though :-)