Need Help Choosing a Dryglove System

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Hi Friends,

I need advice choosing my next dryglove system. I currently use the Si-Tech/Viking system where you pull just a soft glove over the hard ring on the suit side (no ring on the glove side). I like the convenience of getting it on and off, that the replacement gloves are cheap, easy to find and the sizing fits me pretty well. They're supple enough for my photography needs. Perhaps the biggest upside is that when a glove gets damaged or worn out I can just quickly grab another glove and go; I don't have to remove the ring from the old glove and install it on the new one. In all I'm pretty happy with them except for two things:

- I have had one pop off accidentally a couple times when doing a boat entry and then too quickly turning around and reaching up for my camera being handed to me. Not a big deal if I just take an extra moment to let my suit deflate before reaching up, but just one of those things to remember and admittedly it doesn't secure itself as firmly as the systems with rings on both sides giving a positive "lock".

- I wasn't sure if they were leaking a little as my under gloves were always damp after dives. But after having my 10 year old suit tested for leaks they found a bunch on the suit side, so I think it wasn't the dryglove system's fault.

I'm currently choosing between three specific systems. I know that there are other ones out there but these are the three I can have built into the suit from the get-go by the manufacturer, and so please just let me know if you have experience with or knowledge of any of these three options I have:

1) Stick with the same Si-Tech/Viking/Si-5/whatever you want to call it system that I have on my soon-to-be backup suit, where you stretch the soft glove over the hard rings to make a seal. The benefit of sticking with this one is that I already know I like how it works and then I'd have one system for both drysuits which is an added bonus.

2) Si-Tech Antares Oval dryglove system:
http://www.sitech.se/products/dry-glove ... tares.aspx
I don't know much about it but on the surface I imagine that having an oval shape might mean easier to get in/out of the harness, get instruments over the wrist, etc. - not sure if there are any tradeoffs for this though and would love to hear from someone who owns or has used these.

3) Si-Tech Quick Glove system:
http://www.sitech.se/products/dry-glove ... glove.aspx
I think these are their classic drygloves that haven't changed for a long time. Does that mean tried and true or am I missing out on later innovations in dryglove tech?

Everyone's needs are a bit different but for me a major issue is getting them on and off to adjust the camera last minute before the dive, and being able to choose from some gloves that have enough dexterity to feel the subtle camera control feedback underwater. I remember having zip gloves early on and having both the blue smurf gloves and the orange ones. For some reason I was right between those two sizes and the blue gloves were a bit too hard in nature to feel feedback from my camera controls. I also could never get the zip seal back on without help, so that's why I switched to the pull over system eventually.

Anyway thank you guys in advance for any help/advice in this regard! Once I decide on a drysuit glove then I might pester y'all with a color decision as well :calvin:
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Re: Need Help Choosing a Dryglove System

Post by Scubie Doo »

I use #3 and love them. Just need to make sure to wet the o-ring before donning. I usually lick them (I know gross). I get the gloves at mcclendons for $7, so nice and cheap. Super easy to replace gloves. Now for the fun part. I have a brand new set (still in the box) you are more than welcome to use and if you like them, shoot, I'll give them to you because you're the man :) just let me know CT.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Scubie Doo wrote:I use #3 and love them. Just need to make sure to wet the o-ring before donning. I usually lick them (I know gross). I get the gloves at mcclendons for $7, so nice and cheap. Super easy to replace gloves. Now for the fun part. I have a brand new set (still in the box) you are more than welcome to use and if you like them, shoot, I'll give them to you because you're the man :) just let me know CT.
Woah, that is a generous offer Jesse! :luv:

Now by extra set do you mean extra set of the gloves that I'd install in the rings coming with my suit? How easy/hard are they to install? One thing I'm thinking about if I switch to a system with rings on both sides is that once I install the rings on the glove side I'm pretty much using that glove till it's no good anymore (or close to it). The way I'm used to now is I just have a bunch of gloves in my bag and like my socks at home which are all the same model just just fish around, maybe sniff them to figure out if they're clean, and find a left and right matching pair. I don't ever seem to dive my gloves till they're about to fail because I have so many in rotation.

PS - if I switch to system #3 will you lick my o-ring for me? :rofl:
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Okay, well after finding these threads on lots of people griping about the Antares system, that one is crossed off the list!

http://www.scubaboard.com/community/thr ... nd.452186/

http://www.scubaboard.com/community/thr ... ns.478160/

I can't have fragile little tabs to take care of in addition to Wilson!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Tangfish wrote:
Scubie Doo wrote:I use #3 and love them. Just need to make sure to wet the o-ring before donning. I usually lick them (I know gross). I get the gloves at mcclendons for $7, so nice and cheap. Super easy to replace gloves. Now for the fun part. I have a brand new set (still in the box) you are more than welcome to use and if you like them, shoot, I'll give them to you because you're the man :) just let me know CT.
Woah, that is a generous offer Jesse! :luv:

Now by extra set do you mean extra set of the gloves that I'd install in the rings coming with my suit? How easy/hard are they to install? One thing I'm thinking about if I switch to a system with rings on both sides is that once I install the rings on the glove side I'm pretty much using that glove till it's no good anymore (or close to it). The way I'm used to now is I just have a bunch of gloves in my bag and like my socks at home which are all the same model just just fish around, maybe sniff them to figure out if they're clean, and find a left and right matching pair. I don't ever seem to dive my gloves till they're about to fail because I have so many in rotation.

PS - if I switch to system #3 will you lick my o-ring for me? :rofl:
Same, I have several extra pairs of gloves. You can replace in 5-10 minutes. I do have a backup pair of the gloves too. I can help install them, etc... I believe they haven't changed much because they work. They really are easy and bullet proof (based on my experience).
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

KUBI, previously sold under the UTD brand. Simple push-on, pull-off ring system that leaves the original latex cuff seals intact. The aluminum rings are lower profile that any of the plastic systems and I've never had a problem with the gloves popping off when I didn't want them to. Gloves are fairly easily replaced without needing tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

If you have latex cuffs I've used the SiTech system and generally like it. It's easy on the seals and gloves, simple and 'mostly' works. It's weak link is the single skinny little O-ring. You have to be conscientious about putting the glove on straight so it seals. Turning the removal ring out so you can .....just....barely....put on the glove and then slowing working them both back works pretty well. Lick lubrication is good too. Sitech's method of using wax to lubricate is simply a non-starter to the point of being stupid.

I think the KUBI system is a lower profile version on the OS system, which is the one I use now. It's a very solid system using a double O-ring. When you put the glove on, it's on, and it doesn't leak. But, the design is hell on the wrist seals and glove where it's stretched across the plastic. The suit arm needs to be turned inside out, the ring put in, O-ring installed, then turned right side out. This stretches the material hard across the corner and causes it to deteriorate much more quickly than the simple press fit system on the SiTech.
When I used the OS system on my shell suit I'd even take the suit cuff out after diving. I got real good at installation, and it kept the seal from going to hell.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Tang, here you go. Installed new gloves in 5 minutes and 32 seconds (times to "Street Life" by the Crusaders). Boom chicka yeah (in my McLovin voice).

Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

I am a big fan of the Viking System. The people I know that have issues with this system use cheap off brand gloves. The cheap gloves tear and pop off. About 6 years ago I bought 2 pairs of Viking gloves with the rings. The Viking gloves have a really large round lip that drops into the ring, pretty secure. The gloves have never popped off and I have not used the 2nd set yet.
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

The ovals blow, nothing but problems, every person with them I know has problems
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Real men dive with Wet hands ..... :smt064
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

H20doctor wrote:Real men dive with Wet hands ..... :smt064
Maybe so, but smart wise old men dive with dry hands! I use the dive concepts rings, sigh.... Why did they have to go away?!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Scubie Doo wrote:Tang, here you go. Installed new gloves in 5 minutes and 32 seconds (times to "Street Life" by the Crusaders). Boom chicka yeah (in my McLovin voice).

Jesse, where's the video you made doing that change-out?!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Gdog wrote:
Scubie Doo wrote:Tang, here you go. Installed new gloves in 5 minutes and 32 seconds (times to "Street Life" by the Crusaders). Boom chicka yeah (in my McLovin voice).

[img]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160622/932f0947fbde5f99acee1e8eaae30484.jpg[/img]
Jesse, where's the video you made doing that change-out?!
Dude, I'm a photo guy not a video guy. I leave the videos to Stephen, h2o doc, Jeremy, Laura, etc..... :)
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Gdog wrote:
H20doctor wrote:Real men dive with Wet hands ..... :smt064
Maybe so, but smart wise old men dive with dry hands! I use the dive concepts rings, sigh.... Why did they have to go away?!
The key word here is "OLD "
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I still have a Diving Concepts suit with those rings. I like that system!

I think I'm gonna end up going with the Viking style again, purely out of laziness to have two suits that use the same gloves. If I were starting from scratch I would do the quick gloves.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

We just use a couple drops of seal saver on the glove rings every few dives and seems to work well for us. We have the seal saver out doing the neck and wrist seals anyhow.

Like others said just make sure to work them on straight.
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
Hoodsport_Diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by Hoodsport_Diver »

Calvin,
I've used all three systems you mention. My experience with the Antares has been problematic. The other two work well. You won't go wrong choosing either

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hoodsport_Diver
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I decided to stick with the Viking system (called Si-5 by DUI). Suit ordered!
jsaenz
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jsaenz »

+1 for not going with the oval Antares ring. They are super cheap plastic. While I did not have the tabs break off, the actual rings cracked, both of them. I returned them and getting either the KUBI rings or the new Waterproof Ultima rings
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Would you be willing to sell them to me?
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Norris wrote:
Would you be willing to sell them to me?
Norris, I recently sold my backup drysuit and the ring system was on it. Sorry about that.