Great night dive at Redondo

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Great night dive at Redondo

Post by Grateful Diver »

After months of dealing with poor to questionable vis, and kicking around wondering where the heck all the critters went, Redondo gave me one of "those" dives last night. It was a lovely evening, so on my way home from work I decided to take advantage of it and go blow some bubbles. Got down there around 5. The fishing pier was packed shoulder-to-shoulder with squid fishermen. I was treated to a gorgeous sunset as I geared up for a dive ... and practically had the whole place to myself. There were two other divers getting in just as I was, but once I dropped in I didn't see them again.

Started at the MAST, and headed down to the carousel boat. I'd heard rumor of a juvenile wolfie down there and wanted to see if I could find it. No success, but there were tons of other critters around. Vis was in the 30-40 foot range, and there was still some ambient light from the last of the daylight. I kicked around for a few minutes, then headed south at a depth of about 70 feet. On my way across to the south bottle field I found numerous octos, gunnels, bay pipefish ... even a stubby squid ... in the mud or sheltering in the occasional shell or bottle, or sitting on a piece of kelp or seaweed. There was lots to take pictures of, and I took my time going across. The south bottle field was ALIVE ... by the time I got there, full darkness had set in, and the place was hopping. Everywhere I looked there were gunnels swimming about, little octos on walkabout, many small fish swimming around, even the occasional nudibranch to be found. There was a juvenile wolfie ... it's head barely larger than my thumb ... hiding in a pipe. At one point an octopus decided to go check him out, and I had to wait for the octo to move away before I could get a clear shot of the little wolfie (and then wait for the silt to clear around the pipe opening). There was a grunt sculpin on eggs inside a broken bottle. At nearly an hour into the dive ... and several minutes into deco ... I had to finally head up shallower. I barely stopped at my little rock reef, but it's loaded with small things right now ... crabs, gunnels, sailfin sculpins, perch, and small rockfish. It's quite the community. Eventually ... at about 70 minutes ... I made it to about 25 feet, where I found the first of two lumpsuckers for the dive ... my first lumpie sightings of the season. I tarried for a while and took a few shots, then headed on up toward the beach, finding another smaller lumpie at about the 15 foot range. I still had about 3 minutes of deco to deal with, so this was a great way to do it.

Ended the dive at about 80 minutes and 112 pictures. Here's a few of my faves ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Re: Great night dive at Redondo

Post by YellowEye »

Great stuff Bob!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Soooo cool Bob!
I'm glad good VIS & Lumpies are back!
Slow octo crossing lol!
I hope we can blow bubbles together soon!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

nice lumpie! :)
Dan Hershman :smt024
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

BOB is back !!! thank you for the write up and pictures .. Good to hear The Dond still delivers
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Great report and pics, Bob! Nice find on the little wolfie.

The squid fisherman were thick on Thursday as well. Every one of them had multiple catches right at sundown. I noticed many ink clouds during our dive, but didn't see one opalescent squid.

Redondo at night in November is a great recipe for a memorable photography dive.
jmartel
Dive-aholic

Post by jmartel »

Apparently I need to go back to Redondo at night. I did it yesterday during the day just before noon, and there wasn't a whole lot going on. Big california sea lion came by to check us out after we surfaced, but that was about it. Couple nudis, but nothing special.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Awesome work Bob! Yes, the lumpies are back! Thanks for sharing.
NWBoiler
Frequent Bubbler

Post by NWBoiler »

Beautiful photos Bob! I always enjoy your dive reports!
Does all black gear really provide a more streamlined dive rig?...... I Think Not!!! Go DiiR (Do it in Red)!!
derekcs
Perma Narc'd

Post by derekcs »

Ahhhh. Jealous Looks like it was a great dive. Love that picture of the wolf eel in the bottle and the one of the GPO peeking out.
All underwater photographs of mine are posted at http://www.dereksinger.com
@dereksingerphotography on Instagram