A good fill in the Seattle area?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Re: A good fill in the Seattle area?

Post by johndo88 »

Halcyon, I think.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

H20doctor wrote: Any way sorry to hear about the Nitrox issue , seems pretty silly as there is No agency to monitor or set standards for dive shops , and How they run Nitrox systems ...
What do you mean? The compressed gas association sets standards for breathing gas which have been adopted by reference by basically every nitrox agency
A handy reference sheet
http://www.airsystems.com/Reference/CGA ... ations.pdf
fmerkel wrote:
If you believe Arly Buchanan at Tacoma LH there is an agency, PSI-PCI. He started this as a result of a refresher course at DEMA when my NITROX tanks were sent there due to the compressor being out of commission waiting for filters.

I think Frank may be good for the shop, but he's not Tim. Right now he's caught in this NITROX mess himself. He takes awhile to warm up.
PSI sets standards for the tanks and tank cleanliness. They do not address anything up stream of the tank valve.
eg
http://www.psicylinders.com/inspectors/ ... dards-2005
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Echo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Echo »

Funny everyone gets under filled at shops. I was having issues with getting over filled. To the point that my tanks burst disks had to be replaced. I got a bit cranky about it and instead of 700# over fills, they've at least been consistent with just a 2-300# over fill.
-Erika
Echo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Echo »

Grateful Diver wrote: Wally: Hey Bob ... how much gas do you usually come back with at the end of a dive?

Me: Oh, maybe 1000-1200 psi.

Wally: Then what the f**k are you complaining about?
This is why I never complain about slight under fills. I literally won't use the gas anyway.
-Erika
GearHead
Submariner

A good fill in the Seattle area?

Post by GearHead »

It's always nice to come back with plenty of gas. That means you had a decent reserve if stuff hit the fan.
Given that many dives in Puget Sound are a bit more challenging than falling off the back of a boat into 80 degree water with 80 ft of vis, it makes sense to leave a bit more in reserve. Maybe not always 1/3rd of starting pressure, but certainly enough to have gotten you and a buddy to the surface safely. I've seen people end a dive at Muk with 300 or 400 psi left, thinking it's no big deal. Maybe so, but maybe not if something had happened.
Shops that give me good fills will continue to get my business, one that don't will not see me as often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

CaptnJack wrote:
H20doctor wrote: Any way sorry to hear about the Nitrox issue , seems pretty silly as there is No agency to monitor or set standards for dive shops , and How they run Nitrox systems ...
What do you mean? The compressed gas association sets standards for breathing gas which have been adopted by reference by basically every nitrox agency
A handy reference sheet
http://www.airsystems.com/Reference/CGA ... ations.pdf

i mean there arnt scuba police going to dive shops and inspecting fill stations , there is no dedicated agency to go to shops and do full inspections and take air samples
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Well we have only very very rarely had a contamination issue here (generally colder weather helps). I'd be way more concerned about FL, MX and other tropical fill stations. That said, ask to see their latest analysis, then use your own O2 and CO analyzer on every tank.

Or buy your own fill station and know exactly when you last changed the filters and oil
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
john gearhart II
Avid Diver

Post by john gearhart II »

I get good fills from evergreen and I used awesome fills for crabbing from Austin at light house but he has gone to Florida for school with the navy