Fishing Nets in Lake Wa.

General banter about diving and why we love it.
mattwave
Amphibian

Fishing Nets in Lake Wa.

Post by mattwave »

Ok so I read a post from another thread about fishing net remnants on a wreck in the lake, after which I finish a scooter dive we do in the lake where the biggest net is suspended from who knows where and is as frightening as anything I have seen underwater. Having it pop out of nowhere when on full trigger is downright unnerving.

Why are the nets there?
Any ideas or facts regarding netting in the lake?

I had heard from a fisheries employee a few years back when we first came across an ugly net in the lake, he said that the Dept of Fisheries are searching for evidence of foreign fish and they might be using nets.
:book:
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: Fishing Nets in Lake Wa.

Post by Sounder »

mattwave wrote:Ok so I read a post from another thread about fishing net remnants on a wreck in the lake, after which I finish a scooter dive we do in the lake where the biggest net is suspended from who knows where and is as frightening as anything I have seen underwater. Having it pop out of nowhere when on full trigger is downright unnerving.

Why are the nets there?
Any ideas or facts regarding netting in the lake?

I had heard from a fisheries employee a few years back when we first came across an ugly net in the lake, he said that the Dept of Fisheries are searching for evidence of foreign fish and they might be using nets.
:book:
I had a flash-back to when I was learning to drive having my father say "don't out drive your headlights." Guess that could apply to a scoot and HID. :pale:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

Good thing I have a 35W
Let's go diving
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

:supz:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Only thing it can be is the tribal net fishery for sockeye . . .
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

Ok, good to know.
Let's go diving
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

If it is worth it, I'd bring it to the attention of WDFW. At least ask them what their policy is on derilict fishing gear . . .
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

dsteding wrote:If it is worth it, I'd bring it to the attention of WDFW. At least ask them what their policy is on derilict fishing gear . . .
And who's to say WHO, exactly, cut that net to ribbons with their shears, anyway? Coulda been anyone. :evil4:
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

Nailer99 wrote:
dsteding wrote:If it is worth it, I'd bring it to the attention of WDFW. At least ask them what their policy is on derilict fishing gear . . .
And who's to say WHO, exactly, cut that net to ribbons with their shears, anyway? Coulda been anyone. :evil4:
Good luck if we're talking about gillnets!
peo
Avid Diver

Post by peo »

Matt, which wreck was this on? One of the well-known ones?
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

There is a derelict gear removal program, but it is aimed at marine waters.

My guess is that efforts will continue to be focussed on marine waters because (a) there is more potential for entanglement of other species and (b) there is likely way more derelict gear in the sound.

That being said, the above page has a reporting function, so it may not be a bad idea to report derelict gear in Lake Washington to at least get it on WDFW's radar screen.
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

peo wrote:Matt, which wreck was this on? One of the well-known ones?
The dive was excellent! We did notice some netting on the vessel when we crossed over the deck ... I was a bit surprised, as I didn't realize there was any commercial fishing going on in Lake Washington (what in blazes would they be fishing for?). "Quoted" from recent thread

Re: Doug, Yah Nets suck, do you think contacting them could help?
Let's go diving
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

I do think reporting derelict gear can help. Here is why:

WDFW is aware that it is an entanglement hazard for both swimmers and divers. They, like us, probably assume it is mostly an issue for marine waters.

The sockeye drift net fishery is an on-again-off-again fishery depending on sockeye returns at Ballard Locks. It isn't a huge fishery, so there shouldn't be too much in the way of abandoned gear. But, by bringing it to WDFW's attention we at least give them an opportunity to do something about it.

If we don't speak up, no one will know it is an issue, and nothing will get done. If we do speak up, it is quite possible nothing will happen, but at least we've spoken up . . .

The link I posted had both a phone number and an online form to fill out to report things. I'd encourage people to do so for both marine and freshwater areas.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Its a big time fishery in even numbered years. I didn't realize there were old nets though.
straitscuba
Aquaphile

Post by straitscuba »

The fisherman are supposed to be responsible for removing their own derilect nets but it never happens. :angryfire: I float over nets that have gotten loose in the rivers all the time. They should be cut up or removed if it can be done safely. Gillnets will continue to "Ghost Fish" for years and are indescriminate killers! :angryfire: I doubt that WDFW or the Derelict Gear Removal Program will do much about it, they are flooded with calls on derelict gear and priority goes to bigger nets, there are lost trawl nets all over the sound.