Scooter out to Diamond Knot?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
McGlencoe
Dive-aholic

Scooter out to Diamond Knot?

Post by McGlencoe »

So who has done it? From Salt creek out to the knot? Details?

Thought I'd read about it before, but couldn't find the report this time around.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Re: Scooter out to Diamond Knot?

Post by Nwbrewer »

Oh man, is the "Lessons Born in Blood" thread totally gone?

So epic.....
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Nwbrewer wrote:Oh man, is the "Lessons Born in Blood" thread totally gone?

So epic.....
Eh, that was a "surface swim" to the Knot, not a "scooter" dive. :rofl:

But yeah, we toasted it from the public realm. Alas. It was pretty epic.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

OK, but here is a copy of a post from the legendary born in blood thread...
"
Its not swimmable from Salt Creek; as slack (what there is of it) doesn't last long enough. And the current is too strong to swim against so you will end up downstream of the wreck almost no matter what. I suppose if you entered at Freshwater Bay on the right kind of ebb you could swim out far enough to snag the buoy as you drift by..."

Since I took it from a longer text, I'll just type that's it's a quote from the capt. Jack.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

How did you find the only boring quote from that entire thread?
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

It's possible to scooter - not advised but possible.

Ben McGeever did it with some others many years ago and I've looked into doing it. There are many complications:

- The current can be wicked on The Knot even in the best of times. You'd need to plan it during the a spectacular neap tide (look at the tides from last weekend for an example)

- The wreck is .4 miles from the Salt Creek entry point and that's straight line. With the currents there is no way you'd be able to shoot a bearing and hit it on a straight line. I'd scooter straight out from Salt Creek and hang a left when I hit 120 ft.

- You'd probably want to bring a spare scooter for a team of two. If one scooter dies you'd be screwed trying to tow someone back

- It is definitely a deco dive - I'd plan for 90 minutes at an average of 110 ft. That's a lot of gas to tow.

- If you get blown out and miss Crescent Beach the your next exist point is either Freshwater or Seiku.

At the end of the day we decided that it's much easier to just take my boat out and dive the wreck. :)
McGlencoe
Dive-aholic

Post by McGlencoe »

BillZ wrote: - The current can be wicked on The Knot even in the best of times. You'd need to plan it during the a spectacular neap tide (look at the tides from last weekend for an example)

This past weekends tide is what got me asking. The wife and I were up at Salt Creek on Sunday, just enjoying the view. The water looked so great I'm thinking, hmmmm, the DK is only 400 yards (or so I had read) out from the park I wonder..... :)
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Nwbrewer wrote:How did you find the only boring quote from that entire thread?
because its in moderator " davey Jones Locker " file ...LOL poor Aaron , swam out there on his rebreather , just to have a cut in his loop and breath a caustic soda .... it was a epic attempt to do the Diamond Knot from shore :supz:
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
McGlencoe
Dive-aholic

Post by McGlencoe »

Penopolypants wrote:

So epic.....

If it was such an epic thread, why was it pulled?
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Nwbrewer wrote:How did you find the only boring quote from that entire thread?
lol...well, I was looking for the most pertinent portion and thats what I came up with. Plenty more i could have referenced, but really didnt want to start that whole thing back up again..
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

McGlencoe wrote:
Penopolypants wrote:

So epic.....

If it was such an epic thread, why was it pulled?
Best left to Davie Jones. Trust me. Epic is really a relative term.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Perhaps this quote is more fitting...

"Never dive beyond your means. A half mile surface swim was a stupid plan in the first place, even in ideal conditions I shouldn't have tried it. The currents in that area are unpredictable at best and had I been in any worse shape I would have put myself beyond the point of survivable"
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Gdog wrote:Perhaps this quote is more fitting...

"Never dive beyond your means. A half mile surface swim was a stupid plan in the first place, even in ideal conditions I shouldn't have tried it. The currents in that area are unpredictable at best and had I been in any worse shape I would have put myself beyond the point of survivable"
EPIC !!!
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

McGlencoe wrote: If it was such an epic thread, why was it pulled?
The story turned out to be false, and unfortunately the thread devolved into a great deal of bashing in nearly every direction.

Rule #1: Don't be a dick!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

The people who have actually done it (many years ago) had a safety boat, which kinda defeats the point.
Not trying to be dickish but, if you have to ask here then you are not ready to try and plan this dive.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
McGlencoe
Dive-aholic

Post by McGlencoe »

Not planning, just curious.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

No worries my friend. You just unwittingly asked about something that touched on an old nerve. It was a fair question. The answer is that it would be a very risky, and probably foolish and even fatal endeavor. You should feel free to ask these questions. That would be one of the reasons for this board; to be able to ask questions and gather information.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

From a practical perspective you need
Good scooters
a backup scooter
doubles plus a stage and a deco bottle
a safety boat
site knowledge and not just be being chauffeured out there in a charter and dropped
a willingness for everyone to take time off from work to dive it on the perfect day, not a "good enough" day, strictly a perfect day
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Things that I have asked questions about but have no intention of ever doing, much less needed a plan for (by no means an exhaustive list):

Anybody ever been tasered? What's it like?
Anybody ever re-enact the car scene from Footloose?
Anybody ever allowed themselves to be covered in bees? Like, naked, and covered head to toe? What's it like?
Speaking of being naked yet covered, have you ever been the platter for naked sushi? How do you even go about that?
Anybody have long hair and use conditioner before shampoo? What happened?
And, after the "Lessons Born in Blood" thread...Huh, well, obviously swimming to the Diamond Knot is stupid, but I bet someone has actually tried. I wonder how many people have also tried to scooter it?