New Diver in Kitsap!

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
djmcmath
Frequent Bubbler

New Diver in Kitsap!

Post by djmcmath »

I've been wanting to dive since I was a child. I finally live in a place where local diving is actually kind of not that bad for part of the year, and have decided to go head-over-heels into this hobby. I picked up my PADI AOW a few years back when I lived in DC, but finally decided this summer to take it seriously. Now I'm drysuit qual'd, I own my own tanks, and am learning the difference between trillium and plumose anemone!

If anyone's looking at dives out on the West Side (or farther north, like Port Townsend or Port Angeles), I'm probably interested in taking part, meeting new people, and learning more about how to dive safely and effectively. :)

Dan
mpenders
Submariner

Re: New Diver in Kitsap!

Post by mpenders »

Welcome Dan!

You might soon find out that diving our NW waters is pretty good all year round, especially if you dive a drysuit. Water temps don't change that much, and winter vis is usually much better than in summer.

Make sure to check out the dive planning section, as there's lots of opportunities to find folks to dive with.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Welcome to the board and to PNW diving!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
theonly_JT
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by theonly_JT »

Welcome Welcome Welcome!!! :supz:
"Whoa! Big ol' blue's one serious place, dude." - Crush the sea turtle
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Welcome! Glad you're realizing your dream! :)

When you say west side, what do you mean? West side of Puget Sound (e.g. Gig Harbor, Silverdale)? Or west side of Hood Canal?

Have you been diving at Point Hudson in Port Townsend as of late? I'd love to hear a status report of the construction. Has it started?
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

YellowEye wrote:Have you been diving at Point Hudson in Port Townsend as of late? I'd love to hear a status report of the construction. Has it started?
No construction destruction yet. It's unclear to me if the rocks or sea life will be saved, although I heard that WSA may try to rescue as many critters as possible. We'll be out there today... enjoying Point Hudson while it still exists.

Welcome to the board djmcmath! I'm in Port Townsend part time and would be happy to go diving.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I'm not getting wet much for the next few months but I'm in Southworth. I could take you out in the fall sometime.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
jmartel
Dive-aholic

Post by jmartel »

I'm on Bainbridge so I'm usually good for diving. Haven't really dove on the west side of the sound much other than on Bainbridge though.
McGlencoe
Dive-aholic

Post by McGlencoe »

Im in the Port Ludlow area, often dive with 60South in the Port Townsend area.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I'm spending most of my time in Bremerton these days. Wouldn't mind finding some contacts and dive sites out on that side of the Sound. Most of my recent diving is being done with my girlfriend's son, who just recently got certified.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/