SPG and Dive computer

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Snidely
Frequent Bubbler

SPG and Dive computer

Post by Snidely »

Hello all -

I am looking for some input on a couple new pieces of equipment I am looking into.

I am passing off my Cressi Leonardo Console mount computer with SPG and compass off to my wife for her setup. Meaning I am in need of a new computer and SPG.

I am looking into getting the Suunto Zoop Novo dive computer (wrist based). I know I want a wrist based computer and this is one that I found that seemed to have some good reviews. I had thought about getting the Leonardo in a writ model so my wife and I had the same computer.

For the SPG I was looking at the Mini SPG with Rubber Boot (PSI) by Cressi or the Mares Mission 1 Compact Pressure Gauge Imperial (PSI).

Any ideas would be much appreciated. If you know of something else out there that might be better that would be great.

Thanks in advance!
2 in / 2 out, everyone goes home
theonly_JT
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: SPG and Dive computer

Post by theonly_JT »

I cant speak for the computer really but as for the SPG this is a little cheaper perhaps. Basic, easy to read,comes in different size. https://www.divegearexpress.com/dgx-cus ... y-flex-psi

that's what I have
"Whoa! Big ol' blue's one serious place, dude." - Crush the sea turtle
Snidely
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Snidely »

theonly_JT wrote:I cant speak for the computer really but as for the SPG this is a little cheaper perhaps. Basic, easy to read,comes in different size. https://www.divegearexpress.com/dgx-cus ... y-flex-psi

that's what I have
Do you have a rubber cover for it? black or white face? Recommended hose length?

Thanks
theonly_JT
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by theonly_JT »

Snidely wrote:
theonly_JT wrote:I cant speak for the computer really but as for the SPG this is a little cheaper perhaps. Basic, easy to read,comes in different size. https://www.divegearexpress.com/dgx-cus ... y-flex-psi

that's what I have
Do you have a rubber cover for it? black or white face? Recommended hose length?

Thanks
I did not get a rubber boot, i dont think its necessary. I went with the white face, it glows really brightly after hitting it with a light. For hose length I would go no shorter than 26in especially if you want to clip it off to your waist D-ring. Simple, streamlined, easy to read.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I would never recommend anyone ever get a Suunto computer. It is a very restrictive and penalizing bubble model.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Snidely
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Snidely »

Jeff Pack wrote:I would never recommend anyone ever get a Suunto computer. It is a very restrictive and penalizing bubble model.
Thanks what would you recommend?
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Snidely wrote:
Jeff Pack wrote:I would never recommend anyone ever get a Suunto computer. It is a very restrictive and penalizing bubble model.
Thanks what would you recommend?

I like Shearwater petrel (or perdix). Easy to read & use.

maureennk16--- don't even think of posting on this.
:boxer:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

you can pick up a good used Shearwater for about 400 to 600 range .
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
theonly_JT
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by theonly_JT »

Well if were talking about Shearwater's then I would 100% agree. Thats in fact what i recently got as well and I would highly recommend. :thumb3d:
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Shearwater is the only way to go. Rock solid performance, locally serviced, flexible and accurate with anything from VPM to Gradient factors for bubble models.

Snidely
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Snidely »

Thanks for the comments.

Looks like everyone likes the Shearwater. What makes them so good and worth the money? They are a little more then what I was looking to spend and maybe have more features then i need now but can always be convinced to work a little ot to get a better piece of equipment. (But also trying to build a house so gotta watch the budget or else the wife...)
theonly_JT
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by theonly_JT »

Well I solely use my Perdix for rec diving. It has a tec setting and rec setting. I like its easy to read, its super reliable, it has a built in compass, I can switch saltwater/freshwater, and being a science nerd I love all the data it records. I know it is capable of doing way more than I need it to... for now. But as i look into tec diving it seems almost a necessity. They now also have an iphone app which is pretty neat and a decent desktop app. The battery is the good ole universal AA that's easy to change at home. When looking at its competitors they seem to be a litter cheaper for having that big bring screen. I've only been diving regularly for a year and, only have it since January but i love it.

Not to mention Shearwater is somewhat local. There up in Vancouver BC.
Snidely
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Snidely »

Anyone know anything about the Peterl 2 for sale on Rain City SCUBA (FB) it's 500$???
Snidely
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Snidely »

theonly_JT wrote:Well I solely use my Perdix for rec diving. It has a tec setting and rec setting. I like its easy to read, its super reliable, it has a built in compass, I can switch saltwater/freshwater, and being a science nerd I love all the data it records. I know it is capable of doing way more than I need it to... for now. But as i look into tec diving it seems almost a necessity. They now also have an iphone app which is pretty neat and a decent desktop app. The battery is the good ole universal AA that's easy to change at home. When looking at its competitors they seem to be a litter cheaper for having that big bring screen. I've only been diving regularly for a year and, only have it since January but i love it.

Not to mention Shearwater is somewhat local. There up in Vancouver BC.
Thanks local is always good :)

I've only used a Cressi Leonardo and enjoyed it. No real complaints other then a one button operation can be difficult lol.
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

Shearwater... Maybe the only one you'll need for 10yrs.... And yes it will last that long easy.

There is also a rep in Snohomish.
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Don't get a shearwater, you'll hate it. All of us tec divers are just gluttons for punishment and want to do all the extra deco and penalties the Suunto's will submit us to. Plus we dont like those pesky hardware updates that keep them up to date, the flexibility is annoying, and having local service is horribly overrated.

JJHACK
Aquaphile

Post by JJHACK »

I pulled the trigger on a perdix AI Last week wow, should not have waited so long. Much has been said about it here but another shining star of this design is the compass.

The math is already done for you on every turn the reciprocal is marked in red with a simple button push. If you take an SSI navigation course using this is like cheating!

Clearly the best compass of any computer I've ever seen.
The best things in life are not things
Snidely
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Snidely »

The perdix looks like a really nice computer. If anyone knows of a good used one or an awesome sale point me in that direction!

Anyone know of a shop around the kent auburn area that might have one I could look at?

Thanks
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

the predix is a nearly new model, its functionally the same as a petrel however. So you will typically find the slightly older petrels on sale used but not a used predix.

from oldest and cheapest to the latest...
predator is the original model, and takes only a lithium battery
a petrel 1 is smaller, takes AA batteries and but has no compass
petrel 2 has the same functions plus a compass
predix is the same a petrel 2 with a thinner case
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Snidely
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Snidely »

CaptnJack wrote:the predix is a nearly new model, its functionally the same as a petrel however. So you will typically find the slightly older petrels on sale used but not a used predix.

from oldest and cheapest to the latest...
predator is the original model, and takes only a lithium battery
a petrel 1 is smaller, takes AA batteries and but has no compass
petrel 2 has the same functions plus a compass
predix is the same a petrel 2 with a thinner case

Thanks for that. Looks like I will be keeping my eye out for any used ones that come up! :)
theonly_JT
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by theonly_JT »

Oh and one last unique feature to the Perdix is the changeable start up screen. Mine is set to the NWDC logo when I turn it on :taco:
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

Used Shearwater Predator for sale here @ $400

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthre ... r-PREDATOR
Dave
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

I have 338 dives on my Petrel 2. Fantastic computer. The compass is outstanding. I have had NO FAILURES at all.