Dry glove system with O rings

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
SashimiFencer
Frequent Bubbler

Dry glove system with O rings

Post by SashimiFencer »

Hello,

A few questions abou dry glove systems:

1) does the ring system cause latex wrist seals to deteriorate faster? How often is the latex wrist seal replaced?

2) any thoughts on Ultima (old diving concept as far as I can tell) vs Rolock? Both are cheaper than Kubi. I have really small hands- size 5.5-6 gloves

3) has anyone tried this? (Glove adhered to latex wrist seals)
https://www.divegearexpress.com/g-dive- ... seal-liner

I'm looking forward to warm hands after a dive...
Thanks!
Rosa
theonly_JT
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Dry glove system with O rings

Post by theonly_JT »

hmm well I may not have the exact answer to your questions, I just recently made the switch to dry gloves myself. I went with the SI Tech glove lock QPC system, it can attach to any latex/silicon wrist seal. Not sure about it latex deteriorating faster having the rings locked onto it but I was to was wondering about that also. Can anyone here speak to that??

As for the gloves, with the SI tech system I have you just go to Home Depot and get some thick rubber gloves for a few bucks. It works amazingly well, you get to choose the size gloves, and so far I have no complaints!. Just don't forget the equalization tubes or you'll shrink wrap your hands
"Whoa! Big ol' blue's one serious place, dude." - Crush the sea turtle
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

I use the Kubi ring system. Simple push on, pull off with O rings. The latex seals remain intact and don't seam to wear out faster than without the rings. I occasionally use a bit of silicone lube on the seals to keep them supple. The aluminum rings are low profile, so they don't interfere with valve access behind your head.
Rather than using straws or tubes underneath the seals, I use Xerotherm wrist warmers. They let the gloves equalize and do a great job of keeping my hands warm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

For small hands, I think a great option is the Viking bayonet style system. Easy to install, less expensive than a lot of others, and very reliable. But they're smaller diameter than some other systems, which makes them a better choice for women or guys with slim hands.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

From what I can find out, you are correct. This seems to be an up to date revival of the diving concepts system. I am still using the DC system, and love it. I'm anxious to see what you think if go with that system
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

I have the Ultima system and it is indeed an update and return to market of the DC system. It's great and I have no complaints. Solid and reliable.
Dave
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Kubi seem to be the New dry gloves with divers ...

https://www.diverightinscuba.com/kubi-d ... uQQAvD_BwE
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
SashimiFencer
Frequent Bubbler

Post by SashimiFencer »

FYI: I decided on getting the Kubi system after being able to see it in person at Hoodsport Sport n Dive after Saturday's club dive. My engineer husband approved the durable aluminum ring construction over plastic. I decided on it because the rings come in different sizes. I didn't know the diameter of other systems' (Rolock, Ultima) and wanted something with low profile. It was pricey but hopefully it will be the last dry glove system I will ever need to buy.

Will let people know how it works...

Rosa
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Rosa, going dry glove is as a change as going to a drysuit. I noticed you and Doug were using wet gloves, which work, but if you will be diving a lot in our colder waters, a good dry glove system is worth its within gold.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

The Kubi systems are fantastic, except for the price, which is steep. But I agree with George, dry gloves are so much better. I hope they work well for you!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

SashimiFencer wrote: 3) has anyone tried this? (Glove adhered to latex wrist seals)
https://www.divegearexpress.com/g-dive- ... seal-liner
One of my buddies in Michigan uses these. I have never in my life seen some much leaking and testing and rechecking and fidgeting with gloves. They require multiple hands to put on and besides being excruciatingly slow are a total pita.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

I've been diving with wet gloves now for about 2 years... just got tired of them all leaking. I've got the round type (honestly forgot the brand), but I am considering using pull over rubber gloves. I used those some time ago and never had a leak... though, they are a PIA to get on till you get your system down
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
SashimiFencer
Frequent Bubbler

Post by SashimiFencer »

I love having dry hands!!!!
Gdog was right- it's a definite improvement in my diving comfort having dry gloves. Additionally, I've regained dexterity in my fingers so I can actually don/doff equipment independently. (Before I always struggled with getting my own gloves/ fins on.)

Kubi was pricey but It's working well for me. Only 3 dives thus far but super easy to use. I'm glad I didn't Try the latex seal/glove.

I went with Kubi because I could see the ring size in person. Wish dive shops had the other systems such as Ultima for comparison shopping.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Awesome! I'm very glad it worked out for you. Keep on diving!
Diverdave68
Avid Diver

Post by Diverdave68 »

I've used Kubi rings for a year. They work great. My hands barely fit in the largest ring so the gloves are too small. Once I found the perfect glove, liner combo it's been heaven. Easy on, easy off. Never fail.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

As for the seal deteriorating faster, i believe that YES the exposed part of the wrist seal is a weakness. I bought a wheel barrel tube and cut some pieces that slide over that part for protection. I do not believe the part of the wrist seal that is within the dry glove system will be impacted.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**