Need a dive buddy

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
SHAKEY
Getting To Know Folks

Need a dive buddy

Post by SHAKEY »

Hi!

Thanks to whoever set up this forum! I am about to take the advanced open water adventure class the weekend of August 19th. The instructor told me to dive as much as I can before then. I am needing an experienced dive buddy who is safety conscious. I want to dive preferably after work during the week days. Sund Rock any weekday at 6:30 PM anyone? I can go weekends too-I am a working stiff!

I have 40 dives in- trained in drysuit diving but not an expert yet, but OK with dry suit diving.
I own all my own gear except tanks
I am open water certified, with a refresher course in 2004

Not sure if I should list my phone number here-
theonly_JT
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Need a dive buddy

Post by theonly_JT »

Welcome!!! were glad to have you on board! Where are you located?? We have weekly dives on Thursday at Redondo in Des Moines and Wednesdays up in Mukilteo. I'm sure you'll find people to dive with. Aside from Redondo on Thursdays I try to sneak in a dive at Alki. Let me know if your interested!
"Whoa! Big ol' blue's one serious place, dude." - Crush the sea turtle
SHAKEY
Getting To Know Folks

Post by SHAKEY »

Sounds fun!

I am from Olympia, WA so Redondo is better. Are these dives in the afternoon/evening? I am always a bit worried about currents.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Evenings, usually meeting up at 6:30 pm for both. The sites are chosen so that currents usually aren't too much of an issue.

Welcome to the board!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Hi, & welcome!
Have you done any night diving here?
MZ
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
SHAKEY
Getting To Know Folks

Post by SHAKEY »

I have not done any night diving. I was hoping someone may want to go diving in the Hood Canal before the sun goes down. We still have long days. How is night diving? I just bought a new light. I went diving at night in the tropics once and it was incredible! It was a Manta Ray dive.

HMMM.... is night diving difficult here? I will be working on navigation skills for my upcoming class.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

SHAKEY wrote:.... How is night diving? ....
Dark
SHAKEY wrote:.... HMMM.... is night diving difficult here? ...
Yes, it can be.
What kind of light do you have?
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

mz53480 wrote:
Dark
Yes, it can be.
At high noon in the middle of summer diving in puget sound below 25' can be a "night" dive depending on the amount of algae in bloom. Always bring a light.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
kerbyk
Avid Diver

Post by kerbyk »

Nwbrewer wrote:
mz53480 wrote:
Dark
Yes, it can be.
At high noon in the middle of summer diving in puget sound below 25' can be a "night" dive depending on the amount of algae in bloom. Always bring a light.
This diver speaks the truth!
Any pizza is a "personal pizza" if you just believe in yourself.
theonly_JT
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by theonly_JT »

Night diving here is the best in my opinion, most of the cephalopods come out to play, as do the seals at Alki. I loveeee night diving!! And as the others said, you can never have too much light in the murky depths of Puget sound.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

In the Winter, it gets dark at 4:30 - thus almost any dive after work will be a night dive. In Spring and Summer with the algae blooms, as has been mentioned, anything below 25' is generally speaking a night dive.

A good light is a necessity in our waters, not a luxury.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
theonly_JT
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by theonly_JT »

All that being said, can't wait to hear how your class goes! I'm sure I'll see you around the dive sites. Feel free to shoot me a message if you want to meet up sometime!
SHAKEY
Getting To Know Folks

Post by SHAKEY »

Thanks for the response about night diving. I just bought an brand new light that is BRIGHT, so I am looking forward. I have a Narrow Beam LED light with 1200 lumens. Good point about the algae. I just dove to 40 feet and it was REALLY dark.

I really need to get out there to dive before my class! Deep water diving is part of the curriculum. I am a bit nervous! Practice would be a good thing.

I work with a diver who has been pestering me to dive with him and now that I have some time off grad school, he is on long vacations diving in other parts of the world!

Anyway, let me know of any way I can get out with any of you sometime soon.

Best,

Shakey
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Hey,
PM me if you are interested in diving on Sunday, Aug 6th.
MZ
Check out the VIDEOS!
SHAKEY
Getting To Know Folks

Post by SHAKEY »

OK - Aug 6 would be good. Favorite spot? I am thinking Sund Rock- any other place is fine too, as long as we are sure the currents are at a minimum. I will be fiddling with my gear, working on a good way to carry my brand new light, etc. I will get some tanks and Sunday is a go. Thanks for diving with me!!!!
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

SHAKEY wrote:OK - Aug 6 would be good. Favorite spot? I am thinking Sund Rock- any other place is fine too, as long as we are sure the currents are at a minimum. I will be fiddling with my gear, working on a good way to carry my brand new light, etc. I will get some tanks and Sunday is a go. Thanks for diving with me!!!!
Ok, lets meet at 8am Sunday at the Hoodsport dive shop. See you then.
:fish:
Check out the VIDEOS!
theonly_JT
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by theonly_JT »

You guys still diving tomorrow?? I would love to join if you are!
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Yes
Meet at the Hoodsport dive shop at 8:45/9am.
Check out the VIDEOS!
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Have great dives!
Hope to dive with you all soon!
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
theonly_JT
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by theonly_JT »

It was wonderful to meet you Shakey! Hope you enjoyed your dives and hopefully will see you around!

-JT