Amazing vis at EUP

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Amazing vis at EUP

Post by Nwbrewer »

Kwbyron and I along with another buddy did a dive yesterday evening at EUP. Visibility was probably the best I have seen it in Puget Sound. 30-35' at least out near the park boundry and the Truimph. \:D/ Seems to be that vis is always better there when the tide is all the way in, and the surface swim is the longest.

It was downright tropical at times out there with schools of small rockfish everywhere. Lot's of lings and Cabbies as usual at EUP, along with a neat little grunt sculpin. The Visibility and shear numbers of fish in the water make the surface swim ALMOST worth it. ](*,)

A great dive, and the first test of Divelight 2.0 in with the Halogen bulb. Both can and lighthead operated flawlessly. I'll try and post some pics later.

I hope the vis holds out for a bit, it's nice to see stuff without having my nose against it.

Jake
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

Nice, thanks for the report, I was asked by a newer diver yesterday after exiting Cove2, "When are you going to take me to EUP?" I told him as soon as I hear reports of that mid summer vis, although last year it was stellar one day, and crap the next. Damn EUP.
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Vis at Cove 2 last night was off the hook as well. Probably 20-30 feet easy, I heard more than that earlier.

When I was at 28 feet and getting ready to shoot a bag, I turned over to check above me (there was Steve, my instructor ready to catch the bag if I didn't look) and I could clearly see the ripples on the surface. That is some good vis, I am rearranging my plans to dive this evening.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Yeah, we were in Cove 2 at about 2:30 - 3:00 yesterday, and from the bottom of the can buoy, you could see ALL the jackstraw pilings. I can't ever remember seeing viz that good in the cove. And all I could think of was, "Wow, unbelievable viz, and we're doing a TRAINING dive . . . "
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I wish I could dive again tonight, but other plans interfere. :angryfire:

I hope I can hit the Mukilteo clay wall before the vis goes south again. It'd be nice to get a feel for the scope of that area once, instead of the 5' snapshots of wall that we usually get.

Jake
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

I have never dove to the left of the ferry at mukilteo where the clay walls are. Would I need a dive flag to dive this area are would I be ok without one?

Thanks
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I have no idea if one is technically required by law at either place in Mukilteo. I've seen people use them over by the Silver cloud. They are both city parks, and I've had chats with officers at both parks, nobody has ever asked my about a dive flag.

There is some debate about the usefulness of dive flags. Some people insist on using them, under the theory that boaters will see the flag, and stay away from thier flag as they are required to do. Others are of the opinion that strange things floating in the water only attract the more ignorant of the boating population. That's basically the philosophy I subscribe to.

I've seen entirely too many boaters do too many stupid things. I prefer to fly below their radar and assume the responsibility to surface in an area where I am least likely to be struck by a boat.

At Mukilteo we ascend towards the southeast end of the beach, away from the boat ramp. If you want to dive the walls sometime let me know, we do it often in the afternoons after work.

Jake