Return to Deception Pass

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Return to Deception Pass

Post by H20doctor »

Last weeks tide were exceptional with very low exchanges and the ability to hit Key diving sites with very little current.... So why not go to the site that gives the most eye overload experience... with the thrill of getting you washed out to sea ... I packed up the gear and hit the road at 9 am to arrive at 1015 , once there i met up with Jan K. Scuba Jess and Yellow eye .. we Had some people in the lot arriving for the day to walk and Hike around the beach , but the fearsome 4 were there to take photos and see the sites..
IMG_20180607_125152291.jpg
IMG_20180607_102410512.jpg
Slack was gonna Go down at 1120 or so and we walked down the trail and got ourselves into the water... there was a nice patch of kelp growing right off the shore and made for some nice pics shooting up .. The day was cloudy with no sun , but that made it nice as it was cool being in a dry suit and not being cooked by the summer heat .. normally my dive profile plan for Deception pass is to use my Scooter and explore it , Having the scooter allows me the Luxury to fight Current , and not feel scared or trapped when the Pass rears Up its ugly head... I like to hit a spot farther down where the power lines cross overhead , at this spot there is a nice wall covered in life... So this morning was plan B ... Kick and not go anywhere far , to have a nice dive where i know i can Get back to the shore with a 1000 psi in my tank, and my nerves arnt shot.. If i look back at my times and dives here i always look at this site with a Deep respect of what it can do to divers , and How unpredictable it can be, I always Have Fear for this place , and this is the only site i dive that brings FEAR on me every time .. You wont feel slack Here , you wont have a calm water shut off , slack is 10 seconds , sometimes more id say 20 seconds , and then ..... switch , in some areas the current runs the same direction the whole dive , and it never switches...
My game plan ? sit ... stay in one area and not move ... find a spot , explore it ... every inch , every creature , every part of an area... So i got in dropped and went only 20 feet towards the bridge and stayed .. Jan was here with me for awhile but then he disappeared to see what the dive has to offer up for photos... i was in a patch of rocks and my depth was 40 feet , i changed up for 25 to 50 a couple of times but never ventured more than 10 feet to the right , and than off the the left .. up and then down... My goal for this dive was to shoot a different way than i normally do.. i was Going to shoot Slow moving macro Pans.. very Slow shots , giving the Viewer a look at how every inch of this place is growing life ....
As the dive hit 51 Mins and the current began to build , i got the Hell out and Kicked my sorry butt back to the beach ...
fishy.JPG
anem.JPG
fish head.JPG
https://youtu.be/SwvsuvSIbpQ
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Return to Deception Pass

Post by ScubaJess »

Fantastic report and video! It was so great diving with you guys! Also love the pics :)
Nice work!!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Great colors! I liked it!
Vjw
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Vjw »

Amazing pictures, video, and dive recap!! Wish I could have been there!