Denmark Diving - Lyngsbo

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Denmark Diving - Lyngsbo

Post by Tom Nic »

Since my reports are already ridiculously long I wanted to toss a separate report in for this site. Long report ahead - you have been warned!

The name is Lyngsbo, and it is across the channel and upstream a bit past the bridge from Sobadet.

With the winding channel that is Lillebaelt there are areas that are in the “lee” of the current that can be dove when other sites are fully exposed.

My dive buddy was not an “expert” on the channel, and I imagine that with some research or knowing the right people there are a TON of dive opportunities here. The life is WAY more than the first shore site I dove, and there are stone walls that stair-step down into the deep channel. With the shallow sandy area, the walls, and the deep slope there are really a variety of habitats to explore – I’d love to have a week to do so!

I saw more fish species on this dive, and several sculpin. It was both cool and odd finding the sculpin because there were not as many as I would have expected. There are also some huge cod in this channel, which attracts fishermen, both above and below water.

Lots of jellyfish being blown through the channel, and here there was lots of life in the shallows.

There is a cool little sculpin I have yet to identify, and some Black (not blackeyed) Gobies here.

We ran into Flatfish in the shallows (Plaice?) and Hermit Crab were all over the place.

We ran into what looks like a Northern Spearnose Poacher here – not sure if it is the same as our species, but they do look alike.

Here are some of the algae and sponges growing on the wall. My favorite was the look alike to our Pink Mouthed Hydroid that grew in beautiful little clumps! There was also many what looked like Orange Social Ascidians on the wall as well.

But my very favorite is the North Sea version of our Decorated Warbonnet. So cool! This guy was good sized, maybe 8 to 10 inches long.

And finally, another unidentified Sculpin, a Poacher, and the ubiquitous Wrasse that are all over the place here.

As a critter geek I would LOVE to spend a week or so diving here and getting to know these unique animals that live in this part of the world!

If you made it this far, thanks for reading! Clicking on any of the pics will take you to my Flickr album with more shots…
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Sharkb8
Dive-aholic

Re: Denmark Diving - Lyngsbo

Post by Sharkb8 »

So cool! Thanks for sharing. I did make the mistake of clicking into you flickr page last night, which turned into a trap since you have a bunch of Bonaire albums on there and I was supposed to be going to sleep....
Party underwater
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Denmark Diving - Lyngsbo

Post by Tom Nic »

Sharkb8 wrote:So cool! Thanks for sharing. I did make the mistake of clicking into you flickr page last night, which turned into a trap since you have a bunch of Bonaire albums on there and I was supposed to be going to sleep....
Ha! My nefarious Bonaire plan is working! :calvin:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman