Do flounders like divers?

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Do flounders like divers?

Post by YellowEye »

Howdy Folks.

We had a fun ThThTh dive at Redondo last night with 7 divers attending.

It was baking hot in the parking lot, so we were in a hurry to make our splash once the suit up commenced. Despite taking precautions against the heat, my camera dome fogged up when I hit the water :( So I spent the first 30 mins of my dive in 25 feet of water waiting for my dome port to defog.

In the meantime, I was just floating around enjoying the wonderful viz and sunshine. At one point, I noticed maybe 7 flounders bunched up in one spot, where my buddy had previously been futzing around. I thought that was pretty unusual to see so many flounders in one spot, very cool! I noticed they were feeding on the bottom. Hmm, I wondered if the diver disturbance in that area had uncovered food for them. So just for fun I scooped up some nearby sand/rocks on purpose. Low and behold very soon several flounders went into the area I disturbed and started feeding, pulling out worms, etc! Pretty cool! Now here's the weird part -- flounders started coming out of the wood work! They must have been attracted from a distance because soon, I counted 24 flounders in the area! It was amazing. I wondered if they were smelling the food, or somehow communicating or what? It was fun to watch them!

Then just as an experiment, I swam 15-20 feet away to an area that had no flounders. I was hovering perfectly in trim with no silt disturbance. Sure enough, several flounders came towards me, presumably looking for food! Very interesting, I wonder if flounders at redondo usually associate divers with food, or if was from learning from me just several minutes prior. Either way, very intersting, I'll be studying them in the future.

Most of the flounder were still back at the disturbance... I was enjoying myself when suddenly, I saw all the flounder swim off in a hurry. What the heck? Then I saw a seal swooping by. Woosh, that makes sense. A few minutes later the flounders returned to their dig.

What a fun experience! I spent the second half of my dive looking for sixgill. No luck but I did see a ratfish.
rat.jpg
Happy Friday and have a great weekend!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Do flounders like divers?

Post by Tom Nic »

Hundreds of Rock Sole & various other flatfish at Redondo & Three Tree lately. Not sure why? But it usually involves sex or food.

Really cool experiment Eric! I will try it myself.

I have had Sculpin swim up to me and "look expectantly" (anthropomorphism, I know, I know) when I, ahem... accidentally stirred up the bottom a little. Often I'm taking a pic of one, and two or three of his buddies will swim up as if to take part in the action.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

WOW that's so cool! I'm also going to check out this flatfish study! I did notice a ton of flounders at Junk yard a few weeks back. I also saw a ton of Buffalo sclupins at Keystone & Skyline. I guess they are in town for the nice weather! :)

I love this ratfish snap. It's really well done!

Happy Friday Everyone!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

I chock this up to the special powers of the Weezle Underwear.
Dave
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

Speckled sanddabs seem especially into following divers and inspecting the disturbances in the sediment for goodies
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

+1 to what DLH said