Lopez Island 7/22/18

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Sharkb8
Dive-aholic

Lopez Island 7/22/18

Post by Sharkb8 »

At the end of July I joined a trip on the Lu-Jack's out to the San Juan's. We had perfect weather, decent vis and a good group of people on the boat. The first dive was a mellow drift along the south side of Lopez Pass, between Lopez and Decatur Island. The bottom was a fairly rocky slope down to about 60 ft. The whole site was covered in a mass of sulphur and white sponges which was quite interesting. The second dive was an exploratory site just outside and north of Watmough Bay on the south end of Lopez. This ended up being a great site, mostly consisting of blocky terrain with many walls, ledges and overhangs to explore. There were a large amount of rockfish on this dive. We had several large schools of yellowtails and blacks, puget sound rockfish were in every nook and cranny, and the usual coppers and quillbacks were also around. I also saw a large mosshead warbonnet and a cool grunt sculpin which I failed miserably to capture on camera. Luckily both sites were absolutely swarming in nudibranchs which couldn't out-swim my camera fumbling.

Party underwater
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Lopez Island 7/22/18

Post by Tom Nic »

Nice snaps! Love the San Juans!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Nice pics and report.. !!
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Very cool! Good to hear there were a lot of nudibranchs, sometimes recently the San Juans have been drowned out in barnacles...

-Eric
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Excellent report :)
The San Juans are so much fun!!
Love all the nudies and super cute wolf eel! So glad to hear the fish are back :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Great report and pics! I really like the 3rd from the bottom pic, awesome color.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Absolutely lovely shots! What a great day of diving!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

What a purdy wolfieeee!