Looking for divesite and buddy ideas; 16-19 November; noob cold water diver

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
David_FLOR
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Looking for divesite and buddy ideas; 16-19 November; noob cold water diver

Post by David_FLOR »

Warm water diver living in Florida; planning to relocate to the PNW sometime in the next year or so. I will be visiting my daughter who lives in Mt. Vernon; and looking for divesite suggestions (and any dive buddies already planning or who would be looking) from 16-19 November.

I'm a relatively experienced diver, but my last cold-water diving was in Hoods Canal in the early 70s in a very cold wetsuit.

I have a new drysuit, but less than five dives in the drysuit; none with dry gloves; none with a thick hood; none (yet) in cold water. I will be bringing my own gear except for tanks, so will need to rent tanks for any dives not done with an operator who rents them.

I've already booked an "intro to cold water" set of shore dives in/near Anacortes, so that should help me answer / sort out the most basic issues of weighting and trim. I am PADI EAN Diver and TDI Advance Nitrox certified.

Suggestions?
"....in wildness is the preservation of the world..." Thoreau
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Looking for divesite and buddy ideas; 16-19 November; noob cold water diver

Post by ScubaJess »

If I wasn't at DEMA in Vegas I would totally dive with you. I hope you can find some buddies. It's a great idea to take a refresher course with Anacortes, they are a fantastic dive shop.
Enjoy your trip!! Hopefully once you move up here we can dive :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
jmartel
Dive-aholic

Post by jmartel »

Not great tides to do Keystone, but if you don't mind driving down to Edmonds you could probably spend plenty of time diving there in the underwater park. Looks like high tide that weekend is around noon-1pm depending on the day. Low tides are at night around 7-8pm. More sea life at night, of course, but at the expense of not seeing the structure as much.

Not sure on my plans yet, but I might be down for diving at Edmonds one of those days/nights.
David_FLOR
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by David_FLOR »

Thanks for the replies. Will be picking the brains at Anacortes Dive about the other sites when I'm there; probably rent tanks for the week too.
"....in wildness is the preservation of the world..." Thoreau