Seasoft Fined For Dumping Lead, Arsenic

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Seasoft Fined For Dumping Lead, Arsenic

Post by Desert Diver »

Tangfish wrote:
Tangfish wrote:please enlighten us.
Sorry, that was not nice.

In all seriousness though I don’t think I’ve ever noticed the milky residue. And now that we’re talking about this I realized there have been times when I soaked the whole kit and kaboodle (including weight harness and regulator) in the same tub. Hopefully I didn’t do too much lead poisoning to myself.

But I do wonder about that residue- I don’t doubt you guys have seen it, honestly I may just not have noticed. But it could be any number of things once the lead oxidizes and comes into contact with sea water, freshwater, etc. It may or may not be harmful to us and the environment.

It would be nice to know definitively.
I don't have any doubt it is lead oxide. Used in lead based paint. It doesn't worry me but I'm sure it would shut down a school if discovered inside.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

60south wrote:Cheaper alternative: Bismuth.

Or use coated lead.
Or solid blocks that don't continually rub the oxidation off.

If you do you soft lead, wash your hands before eating.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

I dug out my old copy of Lange's Handbook of Chemistry. Lead oxide (PbO) is yellow. Lead chloride (PbCl2) is white. The milky stuff we are probably seeing from our soft weights is probably lead chloride (not definitive). It could form if some of the lead dissolved due to corrosion or some other type of reaction due to the condition inside the casing. Elemental lead is not highly toxic, but the dissolved forms are. I suspect that arsenic is a trace contaminant in the lead that was detected by the tests conducted by Ecology.

Using coated lead would be better. Solid lead rather than pellets would also be better, as there is less surface area for reaction/dissolution. Other metals, such as Bismuth, may also corrode/dissolve.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Magoi wrote:I dug out my old copy of Lange's Handbook of Chemistry. Lead oxide (PbO) is yellow. Lead chloride (PbCl2) is white. The milky stuff we are probably seeing from our soft weights is probably lead chloride (not definitive). It could form if some of the lead dissolved due to corrosion or some other type of reaction due to the condition inside the casing. Elemental lead is not highly toxic, but the dissolved forms are. I suspect that arsenic is a trace contaminant in the lead that was detected by the tests conducted by Ecology.

Using coated lead would be better. Solid lead rather than pellets would also be better, as there is less surface area for reaction/dissolution. Other metals, such as Bismuth, may also corrode/dissolve.
The white discharge from my soft weights has been evident ever since I can remember. I never soaked my soft weights along with any other equipment but put them in their own container. I never heard anyone talk about what it was or if I should be concerned at all about it.

I'm thinking I will be slowly replacing them with solid coated lead.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Magoi wrote:I dug out my old copy of Lange's Handbook of Chemistry. Lead oxide (PbO) is yellow. Lead chloride (PbCl2) is white. The milky stuff we are probably seeing from our soft weights is probably lead chloride (not definitive). It could form if some of the lead dissolved due to corrosion or some other type of reaction due to the condition inside the casing. Elemental lead is not highly toxic, but the dissolved forms are. I suspect that arsenic is a trace contaminant in the lead that was detected by the tests conducted by Ecology.

Sorry for using the term oxidation in the generic sense. The surface passivation of metallic lead in water is a mixture of lead salts including Cl-, OH- and SO4-. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10. ... ode=ycst19 The high surface area along with the grinding of the pellets in the bag together afterwards is leading that passivation to rub off.

Personally I don't rinse any of my lead. I don't see any value to that and I'd have lead contaminated water to dispose of. I just throw mine on the garage floor to dry until the next time I need it.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

It’s the harness that holds the soft weights I have been rinsing or soaking, and I’m too lazy to (and never thought of) remove the weights each time. I guess I’ll soon be shopping for some of those hard coated weights, though I’m pretty sure it will add bulk to the mix, it’s probably better for the environment (and me).
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

It actually doesn't, depending on what you get and how you set them up. I went from zeagle style pouches with soft weights, to hard uncoated lead, literally duct taped together with a looped rope for a handle. It's easier to get in and out of the weight bags, and smaller.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

CaptnJack wrote:The surface passivation of metallic lead in water is a mixture of lead salts including Cl-, OH- and SO4-. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10. ... ode=ycst19 The high surface area along with the grinding of the pellets in the bag together afterwards is leading that passivation to rub off.
Yes, yes. You are correct. =D>

I went looking for relevant studies online and found that same one, but couldn't get full access. I wrote to the authors requesting a copy.

Seems like there's need for a scientific study on the lead scuba weight issue: what the effluent is, how much personal danger there is, and how much of an effect it may have on the environment. If the author gets in touch with me I may suggest that.

glenn
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

60south wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:The surface passivation of metallic lead in water is a mixture of lead salts including Cl-, OH- and SO4-. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10. ... ode=ycst19 The high surface area along with the grinding of the pellets in the bag together afterwards is leading that passivation to rub off.
Yes, yes. You are correct. =D>

I went looking for relevant studies online and found that same one, but couldn't get full access. I wrote to the authors requesting a copy.

Seems like there's need for a scientific study on the lead scuba weight issue: what the effluent is, how much personal danger there is, and how much of an effect it may have on the environment. If the author gets in touch with me I may suggest that.

glenn
It will depend on a ton of other variables (for aquatic life) because lead competes with ions like calcium and magnesium on gill surfaces - the resulting ionic imbalance is what causes toxicity (at a very high level). There is a draft "biotic ligand" model for lead in freshwater but marine waters have thousands more competing ions, the whole structure of the gill is under opposite osmotic forces, and quite frankly its a nightmare. Most of the work on more sophisticated metals toxicity has actually been done by the copper mining industry, but is theoretically applicable to lead https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biotic_Ligand_Model

The current marine lead criteria are quite dated (1970s and 80s era science) and primitive, and probably don't so a good job of protecting individuals of threatened and endangered species.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

CaptnJack wrote:It will depend on a ton of other variables (for aquatic life) because lead competes with ions like calcium and magnesium on gill surfaces - the resulting ionic imbalance is what causes toxicity (at a very high level).
Since many of the lead salts appear insoluble, or at least not-very-soluble, I'd be more concerned about them becoming part of the sediment and then uptake by shellfish. From there, they'd make their way up the food chain. Admittedly, I know very little about this kind of biological process.

The amount of lead naturally in the ocean environment is a mystery to me; is the gunk from scuba weights so insignificant compared to natural sources that we're worried about nothing?
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

The amount of lead naturally in the ocean environment is a mystery to me; is the gunk from scuba weights so insignificant compared to natural sources that we're worried about nothing?
That is an excellent question
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

60south wrote: The amount of lead naturally in the ocean environment is a mystery to me; is the gunk from scuba weights so insignificant compared to natural sources that we're worried about nothing?
I'm not particularly worried about scuba lead in the ocean, there aren't that many divers, solubility is low and there are bigger and more relevant sources. Lead in stormwater dominated streams is potentially a big limiting stressor, but nobody is diving in urban streams.

Seasoft had lead in their stormwater (going to a stream), all over their (leased) parking lot, the interior of their leased building, in their kitchen... I'm far more worried about this industrial stromwater, the employees and their families.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

There is a lengthy note/explanation from SeaSoft owner Bruce Justinen on Scubaboard. He seems pretty upfront about the issue. If you are interested in this topic it's worth reading.

https://www.scubaboard.com/community/th ... st-8498267
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I just read the whole thing.

Even if I only take half of what he says as the truth, that is a classic example of a state agency steamrolling over a small business. I might have taken what he’s saying with a larger (maybe 3-5 shotgun shells worth of) grain of salt, but I myself have been on the receiving end of this type of thing by the state, so.... in the absence of any response to the contrary from WA Ecology, in my mind this is yet another case of state bureaucrats trying to justify their salaries by vilifying a small business that happens to be easy to cast as a bad guy.

I hope Seasoft prevails in any appeal they can make over the ~$200K fine. That’s the sort of fine that can put someone out of business, and it seems extremely disproportionate based on the offenses as described by the owner, who to me sounds pretty sincere and willing to accept responsibility for his company’s mistakes.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Tangfish wrote:I just read the whole thing.

Even if I only take half of what he says as the truth, that is a classic example of a state agency steamrolling over a small business. I might have taken what he’s saying with a larger (maybe 3-5 shotgun shells worth of) grain of salt, but I myself have been on the receiving end of this type of thing by the state, so.... in the absence of any response to the contrary from WA Ecology, in my mind this is yet another case of state bureaucrats trying to justify their salaries by vilifying a small business that happens to be easy to cast as a bad guy.

I hope Seasoft prevails in any appeal they can make over the ~$200K fine. That’s the sort of fine that can put someone out of business, and it seems extremely disproportionate based on the offenses as described by the owner, who to me sounds pretty sincere and willing to accept responsibility for his company’s mistakes.
Glad to hear your take on this, hope you are right, and hope he prevails.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

I've been diving custom Seasoft suits for years. Bruce has his slant on things but I can assure everyone that it's hard to find a more sincere person. That kind of fine would likely be the end of a small business like that.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

fmerkel wrote:I've been diving custom Seasoft suits for years. Bruce has his slant on things but I can assure everyone that it's hard to find a more sincere person. That kind of fine would likely be the end of a small business like that.
Total agreement with you.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

What many don't realize, is L&I has several enforcement units that are funded by fines. Appeals are tough, because you don't go to a judge and court, rather an L&I court, and I use that term very loosely, as rule of law doesn't exist. These units used to report publicly, but are now hidden
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Gdog wrote:
fmerkel wrote:I've been diving custom Seasoft suits for years. Bruce has his slant on things but I can assure everyone that it's hard to find a more sincere person. That kind of fine would likely be the end of a small business like that.
Total agreement with you.
His liability insurance should cover accidents and spills. However his insurance company is going to be pissed and they may cite the order as evidence of a willful violation and try to deny a claim.
Jeff Pack wrote:What many don't realize, is L&I has several enforcement units that are funded by fines. Appeals are tough, because you don't go to a judge and court, rather an L&I court, and I use that term very loosely, as rule of law doesn't exist. These units used to report publicly, but are now hidden
Ecology is not funds by fines. Fines go to the general fund which overwhelmingly is spent on education.