Do strobes blind fish?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Do strobes blind fish?

Post by stphnmartin »

Behavioural and pathomorphological impacts of flash photography on benthic fishes

Conclusion
This is the first study to investigate the combined pathomorphological and behavioural impacts of photographer behaviour and photographic flashes on animals. We conclude that the effects of photographic flash alone are minor and do not have a stronger impact than those caused by human presence or photography without flash. However, manipulating animals during photography elicits very strong evasive responses and should therefore be avoided. While feeding efficiency was not negatively impacted in this study, repeated diver manipulation in highly popular dive sites could still have the potential to lead to chronic stress, increased energy requirements, and reduced fitness in photographed animals.

Full report:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-37356-2
:popcorn: View dive videos on my youtube channel. GH5, Nauticam housing, Big Blue 9000s, Sola 500, 1200, Scuba Lamp Snoot, Mavic 2 Pro, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Do strobes blind fish?

Post by Gdog »

So no Bueno on crab juggling.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Interesting.

I have not noticed adverser responses to 99% of the critters I photograph that is more than just a general avoidance of the bubble blowing monster.

That 1% has been in Seahorses, however. I have seen them repeatedly turning their head away from a photographer, giving their back to them and putting their heads almost to the level of the ground. Typically when I or another photographer would set up you would get maybe one good profile shot, then the "turning away" behavior would ensue.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
jmartel
Dive-aholic

Post by jmartel »

Generally I try to only take a couple shots and leave the fish be. If they didn't turn out like I wanted, then I'll go somewhere else for a bit and then come back to try again. Don't like flashing them unnecessarily.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Tom Nic wrote:Interesting.

I have not noticed adverser responses to 99% of the critters I photograph that is more than just a general avoidance of the bubble blowing monster.

That 1% has been in Seahorses, however. I have seen them repeatedly turning their head away from a photographer, giving their back to them and putting their heads almost to the level of the ground. Typically when I or another photographer would set up you would get maybe one good profile shot, then the "turning away" behavior would ensue.
Agreed Tom. I've seen that also. They let you know they don't like the flash
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

jmartel wrote:Generally I try to only take a couple shots and leave the fish be. If they didn't turn out like I wanted, then I'll go somewhere else for a bit and then come back to try again. Don't like flashing them unnecessarily.
Agreed 1-5 shots per critter :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Interesting article! Definitely some poor pygmy seahorses out there in the world getting blinded repeatedly by light sources 100X their physical size.