Les Davis and Titlow Beach, Feb 24

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
iotium
Frequent Bubbler

Les Davis and Titlow Beach, Feb 24

Post by iotium »

Dive 1 at Les Davis around lunch time. Cold clear day and cold water - 46 F on my computer. Looked live some classes out but I think they were hanging out in the sand and practicing skills. Some brave students out there in wetsuits! There was a big school of perch hanging around the eastern end of the site and there were more shrimp out amongst the rubble than I've ever seen.
23feb2019 - 6.jpg
23feb2019 - 34.jpg
Dive 2 at Titlow Beach, getting in the water about 30 min before a low slack at 3pm. It was our first dive there and we followed a dive plan I found on this site. We started by dropping at the 2 tall pilings and heading to the ledges. Before we got to the ledges we found a big GPO hiding under a rock. After exploring the ledges for a bit we headed to the breakwater but the tide hadn't turned yet so we were going against the current. After a good 10 min of swimming I thought we must have missed it so we surfaced to look around and discovered that we were only about half way there. Since it was low tide we were only at 25 ft and our tanks looked like they would last forever so we dropped back down and continued. Eventually found it.
23feb2019 - 60.jpg
I was totally blown away by the quantity of metridium and felt like I could have spent hours there exploring the breakwater area. Also there were tons of nudibranchs on every surface, including some little guys only ~1/4 inch long. Sadly though a long swim underwater with some big sandwiches right before the dive meant that my buddy's stomach called the dive. A great site and we'll definitely be back.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Re: Les Davis and Titlow Beach, Feb 24

Post by YellowEye »

Nice report! Great to hear about the quantities of shrimp and nudubranchs!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Les Davis and Titlow Beach, Feb 24

Post by Gdog »

Great report, love Titlow!