Pinnipeds, whales, and seabirds

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Pinnipeds, whales, and seabirds

Post by oldsalt »

While on a diving trip at Race Rocks, a few years ago, we saw all five pinnipeds located in our waters: harbor seal, California sea lion, Steller's sea lion, northern fur seal, and elephant seal. I repeated that experience while out with Westport Seabirds last weekend.
We first encountered this tagged northern fur seal. NOAA reported it tagged five years ago at San Miguel Island. Having a California seal instead of a Bering Sea seal is unusual. To my untrained eye it looks just like the Galapagos fur seal and the South American fur seal I saw on my trip south in February.
norther fur seal
norther fur seal
This unimpressive blob is an elephant seal floating head up. Handsome fellow.
elephant seal
elephant seal
I didn't photograph harbor seals or the Steller's, but I did take a shot of these California sea lions lazing around the harbor at Westport.
California sea lions
California sea lions
We also saw two humpback whales and migrating gray whales. Captain Phil Anderson successfully located hundreds of seabirds for us, some were real rarities. I will leave you with the common blackfooted albatross, a personal favorite. With its seven foot wingspan, it never fails to inspire me as it soars over the waves.
albatross
albatross
-Curt :rawlings:
Happy to be alive.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Pinnipeds, whales, and seabirds

Post by Gdog »

Wow. That's cool. Didn't realize we had all of those here!
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Wow!!!
WEstport Seabirds? Is it a charter company?
Curious.
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Fantastic report :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Scubak wrote:Wow!!!
WEstport Seabirds? Is it a charter company?
Curious.
Kirsten
Kirsten: Yes. The owners, Phil and Chris Anderson, do regular surveys of pelagic seabirds and cetaceans and take people out with them. Phil is not only a long time charter boat captain, but he is the former director of Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife. He employs top notch guides on each trip. Check out their website.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.