China .....

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
PapaZ
Compulsive Diver

China .....

Post by PapaZ »

My brother, sister in law and I were diving The Cove Thursday.
At the 70 foot blocks, Peggy saw a different looking fish and with dive light, got my attention.
Moved in closer and started taking a few pictures and video clips of the 3-4 incher.
Sure looks like a China rockfish, but everyone we talked to said they have never seen one in this area of Hood Canal.
They said it was probably a quillback as they sometimes take coloration like a China...
Posted the pictures to Reef.org and several confirmed that it was a China rockfish.
Wahoo, whoop, whoop! Great spot Peggy!!!
Would like to know if anyone else can detail where they has been confirmed spottings of China rockfish in Hood Canal?
china or quill 1_resized.jpg
IMG_9021_resized.jpg

[The extension mp4 has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: China .....

Post by Penopolypants »

Holy hand grenade, what an amazing find!! I hope that means their populations are rebounding here, and it wasn't just lost!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

This is really an incredible find!! Imagine if Chinas started showing up in the Hood!

Please do a quick survey on reef.org to document this. Message me for the how to's. Simple, free, and worth it.

Congratulations!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
PapaZ
Compulsive Diver

Post by PapaZ »

Reef survey submitted this evening.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

PapaZ wrote:Reef survey submitted this evening.
Awesome! So exciting!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman