Minke Whales

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Minke Whales

Post by oldsalt »

Mt wife and I spent the fourth on a whale watching cruise in the San Juans. For over forty years we traveled these waters in our own boat, so we found ourselves sailing in the wake of many memories. The most interesting animals we found were three Minke whales feeding south of Cattle Point. Just as Jan Kocian shows us, repeated trips to familiar waters can still show us something new. In my 60 years of whale watching, Minke whales have always been solitary creatures. They are small, fast whales of the genus Baleanoptera, the same group as blue and fin whales. A normal encounter is one blow, then a fluke, and gone! These whales however were lunge feeding, which I have seen before, but these seemed to be cooperating. They were bubble feeding, which herded the fish and attracted seabirds. Then they would break the surface with an open mouth and plunge back into the water to bubble for one of the other whales. The fish didn't stand a chance.
bubble feeding
bubble feeding
breaking the surface
breaking the surface
Cattle Point Lighthouse with Minke Whale
Cattle Point Lighthouse with Minke Whale
While grilling dinner at home at the end of the day, I saw a lone gray whale feeding. Great day.
-Curt :rawlings:
Last edited by oldsalt on Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Happy to be alive.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Re: Minke Whales

Post by Nwbrewer »

Awesome!
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

You guys got so lucky!!! Awesome report!!! :-)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Nice!!!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!