Drysuit repair

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Iqjumpuw
Avid Diver

Drysuit repair

Post by Iqjumpuw »

My Bare drysuit finally leaked last week. The water was really choppy and it pushed me towards one of the pillars covered with barnacles. I felt the water come in and my left arm got wet. I just did a leak test and it's definitely ripped. I can even see the slight tear from inside.

I know I can take it to a local dive shop but how much should I expect for a repair? Also, how long does it usually take?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Re: Drysuit repair

Post by Scubak »

Have you looked at Express Drysuit Repair in Portland, Ore?
Quick turn around, decent prices, good work.
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
coldfinger
Frequent Bubbler

Post by coldfinger »

If it's just a small tear and you know exactly where it is, why not just use a drysuit patch kit? Haven't needed to do this yet, but I'd wonder about putting the patch on the inside so air pressure pushes it against rather than away from the hole. You could even put some Aquaseal on the other side (or a 2nd patch) for insurance. Aquaseal worked for pinhole leaks in my drysuit knees.

Maybe someone who has actually done this can comment, but seems like an easy do it yourself repair.
Iqjumpuw
Avid Diver

Post by Iqjumpuw »

See? I would have never known about that. I'll try that method before I take it to a shop.
Sharkb8
Dive-aholic

Post by Sharkb8 »

Iqjumpuw wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:31 am See? I would have never known about that. I'll try that method before I take it to a shop.
I patched a decent sized tear in my old crushed neoprene drysuit myself and it was quite easy. The tear was in the crotch which sees a lot of movement and it never failed on me. I used a suit patch with aquaseal on the outside, and more aquaseal on the inside around the tear.
Party underwater
Iqjumpuw
Avid Diver

Post by Iqjumpuw »

I just ordered an Aquaseal for crushed neoprene so I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I didn't order any patch though.
coldfinger
Frequent Bubbler

Post by coldfinger »

Unless it's just a pinhole, my inclination would be to glue a patch on the inside for structural integrity and then Aquaseal on the outside. But that could be overkill; Aquaseal does seem to stay on well after it cures. Or at least Aquaseal on both sides (do 1, let it cure, then do the other).
Iqjumpuw
Avid Diver

Post by Iqjumpuw »

Thai definitely worked! Didn't need the last h.