Skindiver from Everett, Washington

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
Agnes_Clamfanger
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Skindiver from Everett, Washington

Post by Agnes_Clamfanger »

Hello, everyone. I'm Agnes.

I started open water swimming in the Puget Sound south of Everett a few summers ago and quickly got hooked. I received my Open Water SCUBA certification in the beginning of 2018, but I'm not overly enthusiastic about SCUBA for a number of reasons (I like the freedom of movement and the sort of raw physical dialogue with the water 'naturally', whereas SCUBA is focused on minimizing movement as much as possible, + cumbersome equipment, + expenses, etc.). So, I find 'skindiving' to be the ideal balance for me at the moment.

Anyway, I don't really know anyone else in the area who is into being in the water in this particular way, and - while this forum seems mostly geared toward SCUBA - I thought it might still be a good resource. So I signed up. Might just lurk for awhile; I'll see. But figured I'd at least say hi!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Re: Skindiver from Everett, Washington

Post by YellowEye »

Hi! Welcome to nwdc!

I'm familiar with your work from Instagram, love it, I didn't know you were a free diver!

I totally get your sentiment about freediving vs scuba. I used to free dive. I ended up moving over to scuba because I appreciated the extra bottom time :)

Another free diver was just on this board, did you see this thread? viewtopic.php?f=4&t=27711

See these too, and there are others
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=26933&p=287280

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27213&p=289802

Have you been to keystone? That's a great nearby site for freediving, in the right conditions. Member JanK who lives on Whidbey Island likely has contact info for some free divers who go there.

You're also welcome to solo trail us at keystone if you want some time. It's not a deep site, 50 max, and often we don't go deeper than ten feet on the pilings. We may go in two weeks (tides aren't the best though).

Good luck and hope to meet you!

-Eric
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

There is a yahoo group by the name of bottom sounders that is a local free diving group. They been kind of quiet lately however you might give them a shout.

Mike
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

It's true that there are not a lot of free divers here, but there are some. We have a lot of knowledge about locals sites, though, that we are more than happy to share. Yelloweye is correct, Keystone is absolutely amazing.....just watch out for the currents, which can be quite brutal.

Welcome to the board!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
SCUBARM79
Avid Diver

Post by SCUBARM79 »

I'm game for some freediving to the North end of Sea-town. I'm just shy an exposure suit at the moment. (2XL anyone?)