Redondo 8/24 first time there

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Spanky
Getting To Know Folks

Redondo 8/24 first time there

Post by Spanky »

My son Fin drove off to college today -- headed for Indiana. We thought we would try one last time to see a GPO before he left so we did a Saturday day trip to Redondo Beach. It was the first time diving there for both of us. Drive up from Portland was easy and we were in the water shortly after 10am.

First dive we went down to carousel boat. On the slope Fin saw a little red octo. I tried switching wet lenses, the first time for me as I have just added them to my camera rig, and managed to get zero pictures of it. While I was fumbling around, a second, slightly larger red came up and they entangled tentacles briefly before moving off. Total strike out photographically but pretty cool to watch nonetheless. We puttered around the tire piles, statue, and carousel boat for a bit but not much going on. We went back upslope and headed north to the pipe and row boat. After puttering for a bit we headed back up. We both enjoyed watching all the flat fish at our safety stop -- pretty entertaining way to spend 3 minutes.

Second dive we headed past the pipe and meandered to the bug and back. Many lingcod but that's about it. Just before we got to the pipe, Fin spotted another red. This time I managed to get some pretty good photos.

We really enjoyed diving Redondo. Pics: https://www.brhoy.me/Sharing/PNW-Diving/n-5f5NWQ/

oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Re: Redondo 8/24 first time there

Post by oldsalt »

Of course, a diver would have a son named Fin. Thanks for posting. The shots of the reds came out great. Advice from an old guy who has been there: Cherish every dive you have with your son.
-Curt :rawlings:
Happy to be alive.
Spanky
Getting To Know Folks

Post by Spanky »

oldsalt wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:33 am Advice from an old guy who has been there: Cherish every dive you have with your son.
-Curt :rawlings:
For sure. For his graduation we did a live aboard in the Red Sea then stopped in Cairo to see the pyramids. I was glad to be able to do some really cool things with him over the summer. So I managed to get in 27 dives with him this summer. They sure do grow up fast.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

I agree, your red octo photos came out great!