Regulator service

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
SashimiFencer
Frequent Bubbler

Regulator service

Post by SashimiFencer »

I have about 100 dives over the past 3 years on my atomics regulator. It’s working well still but should I get it serviced regardless? Recommendations for local shops who provide this service? I did buy it from local dive shop so my default is to take it to the same place.

Thanks!
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Regulator service

Post by Penopolypants »

You may have a free or reduced service option with the shop you bought it with, so I would check with them first. Otherwise I'd send it to Don Peterson at Octopus Gardens.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Disclaimer - I'm not endorsing this practice.... but I typically dive my regs until they start having problems.
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

A few ways to make an informed decision:

1) Buy an IP Gauge for $10 to see if your 1st stage has an IP in spec and stable or has drifted out of spec (should be 130-140 psi)
2) Remove the 2nd Stage purge cover and see if everything is clean without debris or scaled on junk
3) Put the 2nd Stage pressurize in a sink or tub, mouthpiece up and slowly submerge it. About 1" down, before the mouthpiece opening goes under it should free flow. If it floods too soon or only after water floods in it probably need adjustment.
4) Submerge the 2nd mouthpiece downward, fully submerge, then point it mouthpiece up. Should not free flow.

If all that is good you a probably working fine. Even so, probably keep a good eye on it and know that Time will erode the lubrication and orings even if use does not. Don't push it too hard to save a few bucks.
Dave
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

I have to recommend Don Peterson with Octopus Gardens...
I have been lax and needed to get all my regs serviced. In two mailings, they are now all done. Yes, it was expensive. But the workmanship, service and reliability of your regulators is necessary. I don't mind paying at all. I think I had 5 or 6 done in total...
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

+3 on Don at Octopus Gardens.
SashimiFencer
Frequent Bubbler

Post by SashimiFencer »

Thanks for the advice! My regs are all shiny and ready to go this weekend! *gulp* in the price of service but I’d rather be safe because it’s the equipment that keeps me alive.... it was easy to ship out and fast turnaround time. I appreciated his explanations and seeing the testing paperwork.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

One of the greatest lies ever told is "Yeah, scuba is expensive, but once you get all your gear you're just paying for air fills!". Ahahahahaaa! Yeah.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Penopolypants wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:16 am One of the greatest lies ever told is "Yeah, scuba is expensive, but once you get all your gear you're just paying for air fills!". Ahahahahaaa! Yeah.
Tell that to my leaky drysuit.