Hoodies on the Hood

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Hoodies on the Hood

Post by Greg Jensen »

Jones'n for some hooded nudies but don't have the time and/or $$$ to go to God's Pocket?

Head over to Twanoh State Park and go in to the left of the docks- there are hundreds of them in the eelgrass (just 10' at high tide). Also huge numbers of white lined dironas (big too), lots of Hermissenda. And vis shallow is crystal clear.

Twanoh usually doesn't have much to recommend, but right now it's pretty dang good. And keep an eye out for my wife's weight pocket.
Vjw
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Hoodies on the Hood

Post by Vjw »

Wow! Dove this site several years ago, and it was terrible - all rubble, sand, and 4 ‘Twinkie’ nudis. Good to know there’s more life there now and specifically, hooded nudis! :joshsmith:
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

Cool! Would that be to the left of the boat launch docks to the west? Or the dock to the east?
:popcorn: View dive videos on my youtube channel. GH5, Nauticam housing, Big Blue 9000s, Sola 500, 1200, Scuba Lamp Snoot, Mavic 2 Pro, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

Sorry, forgot about the other dock. Go to the left of the boat launch.

The other interesting thing there yesterday were the huge numbers of small moon snails. I almost never see live juvenile moon snails, just big ones- but there were lots of golf ball sized ones cruising around.
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Sounds super cool!:)
Thanks for the recommendations! Cannot wait to check it out!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

I am going to have to head that way ASAP!!!
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

Be sure to go when the tide is fairly high- they''re on the smaller, non-native eelgrass (Zostera japonica) so shallower than the usual eelgrass beds.
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

Thanks for the report Greg. As a result a few of us went and visited the Hoodies Sat & Sun. Saturday was really nice with good viz. Sunday there was a muck layer on the surface and a layer of scum. Not to mention a boater dumped about 5 gallons of gasoline at the dock. Sunday had the possibility of sun in the forecast so I was hoping to get some footage of the nudies with sunlight streaming through the water and trees in the background above. But, the viz crapped out on us. And so did the sun!

I'll post some screen grabs soon. But, I wanted to thank you for the report, otherwise this vast collection of nudies would have gone unseen by most! It was very cool to see. There were also sea angle sightings.
:popcorn: View dive videos on my youtube channel. GH5, Nauticam housing, Big Blue 9000s, Sola 500, 1200, Scuba Lamp Snoot, Mavic 2 Pro, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

I agree with Stephen Martin! Thanks again for the tip :notworthy: , I had so much fun with all the hooded nudies & I saw the tiniest sea angel I've ever seen. :luv:
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Vjw
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Vjw »

Greg,

Thanks SO MUCH for the sharing the info! I’ve never seen so many hooded nudis!! It was a delight!!! :thankyouyellow: :joshsmith:

Was surprised how the viz could be an excellent clear 30 ft Saturday then a cloudy 10 ft the next day but guess no dive is ever the same!

Does anyone know how long they live or how long they might be there? Working on footage and hope to post some soon. We didn’t find your wife’s weight belt! :smt119
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Thanks Greg! Thanks for sharing your nice find!
I also hadn't been to that site, nice to see the sand dollars too.
Attachments
DSC_0572.jpg
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

So glad you were all able to go check them out! I was afraid they'd pull a disappearing act before anyone else got out there.

I haven't found any information on longevity, but (like most other nudies) it is probably quite short. I'd be very surprised if it were more than a year, and for much of that time they are too small to notice.
FlyinV
Dive-aholic

Post by FlyinV »

Super cool pic! YellowEye!

I am heading to my cabin on Hood Canal this weekend -- Hopefully I'll be able to check this out!
Jeff V
Octo Buddy Dive Tours - www.octobuddy.com
Vjw
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Vjw »

Great pic YE!!
Here’s a few screen shots I took - some macro and some WA to show how many of them there were! :joshsmith:
Attachments
6CB21EF9-C3ED-4112-BAC3-E045B5D3BC16.png
7ED8AC67-AF9E-41CD-8191-7BD6F303A203.png
AEAF0C01-FED0-4CA5-93D8-C03B9E32D53C.png
2E8467AB-17FE-46B3-AAD9-EBB15C041283.png
SashimiFencer
Frequent Bubbler

Post by SashimiFencer »

Wow! After reading all the posts and seeing the pics, I’m excited to head there myself this weekend! Anyone else interested in meeting up there on Sunday?
FlyinV
Dive-aholic

Post by FlyinV »

I went today and still plenty of them.
Straight out from boat ramp.

Nudibranches all over! Lots of different kinds.
Jeff V
Octo Buddy Dive Tours - www.octobuddy.com
SashimiFencer
Frequent Bubbler

Post by SashimiFencer »

Those hooded nudies are still partying amongst the eel grass! I went Sunday-and even though it was low tide-hundreds of 'em were still hanging about. from the surface, we could even see a couple free swimming. Visibility was excellent. My ancient GoPro 3 couldn't take the cold water and died, but I did capture a few grainy videos.

Greg-Out of curiosity, what made you decide to try diving there in the first place?
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

I go there when I'm looking to shoot specific things that I know are easily available there, and uncommon or absent elsewhere- like this Alaskan hermit (Pagurus ochotensis).
ochotensis.jpg
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

wow! Nice green eyes!!! :-)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Those are the huge ones, huh. Moon snail shell fillers! I think I've only seen those once at Three Tree.
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

Was able to recover my wife's weight pouch while snorkeling today. :)

There are patches of a rust-colored bloom out there now, so viz can be iffy