The Banda Sea aboard the MSY Seahorse

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
stphnmartin
Amphibian

The Banda Sea aboard the MSY Seahorse

Post by stphnmartin »

Back in late September VJW, myself and a couple other PNW divers headed to Indonesia for a 12 night liveaboard trip through the Banda Sea. The 9 total flights went off without a hitch and only some minor pain with baggage overages on the domestic Indonesian flights. It is, however, always a great relief to finally get onboard the boat with 12 days of diving ahead!

This was the first time on the MSY Seahorse. Our stateroom was awesome and spacious right next to the camera room. They had warnings not to charge things in our rooms due to the Conception tragedy. Dive days varied from 3 to 4 a day and a night dive. One night dive was cancelled due to rough waves which made it a dangerous challenge to board the speed boats in the dark.

The main attraction of the Banda Sea is schooling hammerheads and we were lucky enough to encounter them on several dives. Just one time did they get reasonably close. However, the best experience for me was encountering schooling humphead parrotfish for the first time. It's really cool to see them approach as slender, vertical while lines at a distance before they turn an reveal their large, broad sides.

I found the boat, crew and food to be really great and would definitely go back. After 13 days onboard, and before returning home, we spent 3 days in Ambon. The home of the psychedelic frogfish. I'll report on that portion separately.

Anyway, here is the video I produced from the adventure. Comments and critiques are welcomed.

youtu.be/sXiOZ72Rwm4
:popcorn: View dive videos on my youtube channel. GH5, Nauticam housing, Big Blue 9000s, Sola 500, 1200, Scuba Lamp Snoot, Mavic 2 Pro, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: The Banda Sea aboard the MSY Seahorse

Post by Tom Nic »

Stunning work, as always!

We have an amazing pool of talent here in the PNW, and on NWDC in particular.

Truly world class!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Absolutely agree with you Tom, this video is crazy good. Very very well done Stephen!
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

By now, when Stephen post something from his trip, you know you are in for a special treat. The Banda Sea does not disappoint. Superb work, above and underwater. Thanks a lot !
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

Appreciate it Tom, Gdog and Jan!
:popcorn: View dive videos on my youtube channel. GH5, Nauticam housing, Big Blue 9000s, Sola 500, 1200, Scuba Lamp Snoot, Mavic 2 Pro, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

Love the hammerhead action! Thanks for sharing your adventures and awesome cinematography!
Dave
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Super cool!!! Fantastic job as always! I cannot wait for the Ambon one next and we are in need of some more of your awesome cold water videos soon!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Stephen: Magnificent. Sailing and diving are two activities I cherish, but have given up. I appreciate your effort and creative genius. I'm sure the Seahorse was more luxurious than any of the boats I dived from.
-Curt :rawlings:
Happy to be alive.
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

Many thank DLH, SJ and Oldsalt!
Vjw
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Vjw »

Your most epic video yet!!! Love the drone footage of gorgeous sites above the water and how you weave it together with the astonishing creatures and coral landscapes below! Really like the close-up of the turtle, and the schooling hammerhead finale rocks!! So thankful and happy to join you on the adventure!
:luv: :joshsmith: :taco:
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Awesome Video!
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

Thanks VJW and Nwbrewer!