ThThTh 2/6?

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

ThThTh 2/6?

Post by YellowEye »

Howdy Folks! Several of the Thursday night regulars will not be diving this week due to weekend travel plans. Also the conditions are prime for the Redondo River so do be careful/aware if you go. There are quite a few of the below nudis at Redondo these days. Also Stephen saw 7 lumpies last Saturday so they're still around! Hope to see you next week!
DSC_4572.jpg
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Honudavis
Frequent Bubbler

Re: ThThTh 2/6?

Post by Honudavis »

Is The river present south of the boat ramp? Or primarily north of the ramp? I think most of the lumpies are south of the ramp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Enjoy and savior all moments in life, above and below the water :). Kelly Davis Real Estate Broker
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Hi
The river seems to be strongest at the pier and north of there but is also present on the south end.
BTW: I did find a lumpy on the north end when I checked a couple weeks ago.

Hope you're well!
Honudavis
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Honudavis »

Cool, thank you. I have yet to experience ‘The River’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Enjoy and savior all moments in life, above and below the water :). Kelly Davis Real Estate Broker
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

If you are splashing around the usual time, the river should be well over, as that is the bottom of the ebb tide. While unpredictable, the Redondo river likes to strike around the midpoint of an extreme exchange on the outgoing tide. This produces a strong current running perpendicular to the shore, much like a rip tide. I've watched red Rock and Dungy crabs rolling downslope like crazy. If you get caught in it, try moving upslope at an angle, and remember going straight up is a viable option! Or if you have the gas, wait it out. As I recall, a woman died several years back trying to fight the river. It's short lived, but not to be taken lightly.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Hmm George, I think its more towards the end of ebb. Anyway we went Jan 9-- almost exact same tide cycle as tomorrow -- and it was HOWLING at the pipe at the usual ThThTh splash time, for probably 20 mins. Probably best to assume it can strike anytime on a strong ebb and just be mentally prepared.

1/9 tide: http://www.dairiki.org/tides/daily.php/sea/2020-01-09
2/6 tide: http://www.dairiki.org/tides/daily.php/sea/2020-02-06
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

YE, great advice to be prepared mentally for it at any point during the ebb.
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

Out this week. Back next week.
:popcorn: View dive videos on my youtube channel. GH5, Nauticam housing, Big Blue 9000s, Sola 500, 1200, Scuba Lamp Snoot, Mavic 2 Pro, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X