Critter Junkies in Ambon, Indonesia

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Vjw
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Vjw »

After a 13 day live aboard on the Banda Sea Sept-Oct 2019, stphnmartin, myself, and two other PNW divers Keith and Jon spent a ‘layover’ in Ambon, Indonesia for 3 days. We did 12 dives with the shore-based dive operator Critter Junkies, only 20 minutes from the airport making transportation via taxi very easy. The Crecia hotel, a 10 minute taxi ride from Critter Junkies, is up to western-standards with breakfast, dinner, air conditioning, warm water and friendly staff. Ambon itself is slightly ‘third-world’ and trash is an issue in the water and on land.

The diving is truly amazing and outta this world!!!

The only place on earth you can see the psychedelic frog fish, which we were lucky enough to see!! We saw 10 other frogfish, 4 cuttlefish, 2 rhinopia, many colorful nudis, and a boxer crab on the first day! The wunderpus we saw the second day was epic. It's mostly muck diving but there are some corals too.

Critter Junkies provides air tanks and weights and you can dive as much as you want from 9 am until well past sunset. You set your own schedule and can dive with or without a guide from the shore. They also have a boat if you want to visit other local dive sites. They provide lunch if arranged ahead of time or you can walk to restaurants or convenience stores nearby.

Here’s some above water pics and my video of the quirky critters we saw on the adventure!

youtu.be/MKPFuSU0WkA
Attachments
IMG_1080.jpeg
IMG_3970.jpeg
IMG_3966.jpeg
orcasc205
Aquaphile

Re: Critter Junkies in Ambon, Indonesia

Post by orcasc205 »

Awesome video. That looks like an amazing place to dive.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Thanks for taking this armchair diver to a place I'll never go. Wonderful.
-Curt :rawlings:
Happy to be alive.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Amazing Val. I cannot believe how far you’ve come in a short period of time. Doesn’t hurt to have a badass mentor ;)

I was on the fence with Ambon. But after this video. Let’s go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Fantastic job Val!!! Amazing video! Looks like a super fun place but so sad about all the garbage.
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Sharkb8
Dive-aholic

Post by Sharkb8 »

Val, that was absolutely stunning!!!!! Loved everything about it. Did you really shoot all that on your TG6?!
Party underwater
Vjw
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Vjw »

Orcasc205 and Oldsalt, thanks for your comments! Glad to share.
Scubie Doo, ‘true dat!’ :notworthy: thank you!
ScubaJess, it is super fun and trash was better than when we went last year :luv:
Sharkb8, it was shot with the TG6.
:joshsmith:
derekcs
Perma Narc'd

Post by derekcs »

Is that a wunderpus or a mimic? Fun video!
All underwater photographs of mine are posted at http://www.dereksinger.com
@dereksingerphotography on Instagram
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Ok Val. I second what Jesse said. Dad gummit, your video is epic! Fantastic job, loved every second of it!
Vjw
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Vjw »

Thanks Gdog and Derek! It’s a wunderpus. :joshsmith:
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

I finally completed my video of the adventure in Ambon:

https://youtu.be/tf-lqPLhn-U

youtu.be/tf-lqPLhn-U
:popcorn: View dive videos on my youtube channel. GH5, Nauticam housing, Big Blue 9000s, Sola 500, 1200, Scuba Lamp Snoot, Mavic 2 Pro, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Bravo. Super Duper Legit.

stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

Scubie Doo wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:59 pm Bravo. Super Duper Legit.

Thanks Jesse!
:popcorn: View dive videos on my youtube channel. GH5, Nauticam housing, Big Blue 9000s, Sola 500, 1200, Scuba Lamp Snoot, Mavic 2 Pro, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X
Vjw
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Vjw »

You hit it outta the park! I especially love the harlequin shrimp moves, straight-on shot of the hairy squat lobster, yawning FF, and clown fish aerating their eggs, not to mention the psychedelic FF. Amazing!!
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

Wow! I played that full screen on my 32" desktop PC monitor and I had to back away from the desk it was so intense and close up. If you are only watching this on a tiny phone screen I strongly recommend the Full Screen HD experience!

Incredible shots and editing Stephen! I can really see how your style is evolving and growing with ever trip. You knocked it out of the park with this one!
Dave
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

Vjw wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:33 pm You hit it outta the park! I especially love the harlequin shrimp moves, straight-on shot of the hairy squat lobster, yawning FF, and clown fish aerating their eggs, not to mention the psychedelic FF. Amazing!!
Thanks VJW. Glad we got to experience the crazy animals beneath the waves there.
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

dlh wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:31 pm Wow! I played that full screen on my 32" desktop PC monitor and I had to back away from the desk it was so intense and close up. If you are only watching this on a tiny phone screen I strongly recommend the Full Screen HD experience!

Incredible shots and editing Stephen! I can really see how your style is evolving and growing with ever trip. You knocked it out of the park with this one!
Thanks Dave! Really appreciate your kind comments. Also, congrats on your retirement!
derekcs
Perma Narc'd

Post by derekcs »

The shot of the ornate ghost pipefish with the silhouetted crinoids in the background is really cool.
All underwater photographs of mine are posted at http://www.dereksinger.com
@dereksingerphotography on Instagram
Sharkb8
Dive-aholic

Post by Sharkb8 »

We just got one of those fancy new smart tv's that you can watch you tube on. I watched your video on that and it was ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!!!! :supz: :supz: :supz:
Party underwater