Galapagos on the Deep Blue

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
dlh
Submariner

Galapagos on the Deep Blue

Post by dlh »

I returned last week from a fantastic trip to Galapagos from a 10 day trip on Master Liveaboard's "Deep Blue". It was a really great trip that delivered on all counts. It was my second trip to the islands and this one was even better than the first. Last time was in September on a different boat. The water visibility and vessel were much better this time around. 80 foot vis at Wolf and Darwin for the big critters and sharks, and a very nice boat and crew. We did three dives a day for 7 days, and three more dives with 1 or two dives each. All were fantastic.

Here are a few of the pics:
Darwin's Arch
Darwin's Arch
Red Lipped Bat Fish
Red Lipped Bat Fish
Marine Iguana
Marine Iguana
Marine Iguana
Marine Iguana
HammerHead
HammerHead
Whale Shark - 30 footer
Whale Shark - 30 footer
Playful Dolphins
Playful Dolphins

Mola Ramses - Eight feet tall!
Mola Ramses - Eight feet tall!
Turtle in the sun
Turtle in the sun
Whole school of HammerHeads
Whole school of HammerHeads
HammerHead
HammerHead
Dave
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Re: Galapagos on the Deep Blue

Post by stphnmartin »

Wow! Super great! The hammers got close! So did the mola mola!
:popcorn: View dive videos on my youtube channel. GH5, Nauticam housing, Big Blue 9000s, Sola 500, 1200, Scuba Lamp Snoot, Mavic 2 Pro, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Each one of these pictures deserves a poster. I still hope to see a whale shark one day. Congratulations. Being a whale geek, I am guessing those are bottlenose dolphins. Do you know?
Thanks, Curt :rawlings:
Happy to be alive.
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

Glad you like the photos! The two days at Darwin's Arch were full of surprises including 200-300 Bottlenose Dolphins that buzzed our crew many times, especially when we at the surface towards the end of dives. Lots of amazing interactive experiences.

This picture has about 35 dolphins in frame!
Galapagos - Darwins Arch February 08, 2020 291-Edit-Edit.jpg
Dave
Vjw
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Vjw »

Amazing pelagic pics!!! And you got to see hammerheads, a whale shark, and a mola mola! Glad the boat and viz were even better this time!!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Freaking amazing Dave!!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Very very cool DLH! Excellent shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
derekcs
Perma Narc'd

Post by derekcs »

Really cool iguana photos. How close did you get to the whale shark? I remember how hard it was to get a shot of one with good white balance at that depth. Looks like you were at 60-70ft?
All underwater photographs of mine are posted at http://www.dereksinger.com
@dereksingerphotography on Instagram
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

derekcs wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:30 pm Really cool iguana photos. How close did you get to the whale shark? I remember how hard it was to get a shot of one with good white balance at that depth. Looks like you were at 60-70ft?
We were probably around 60 feet when the whale shark came by. I was out to the right flank of the diver group and it came right in toward me. I jetted out and took a first round of shots as it swam right to left in front of me, maybe 10 feet. Then it did a 180 and came right back toward me for that shot that I posted. I was within 6 feet or so and it passed right over. I was shooting my D850 with a 16-35 lens and my Inon 330's very close to full power. Shot at ISO 320, f9, 1/160, 27mm.
Dave
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Some major bucket list critters BTW. Hammerhead, mola mola, whale shark, dolphins. You checked a lot off the list.

Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

And the iguana too :)

ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Wow!!!! Such a fantastic report!!! Super beautiful snaps! :luv: :luv: :luv:
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
jmartel
Dive-aholic

Post by jmartel »

Nice photos. I'm surprised you saw a whale shark since it's out of season there. We did October in 2016 on the Aggressor and doing it again next October. I wasn't lucky enough to get the dolphins you did, but we got some pilot whales. The boat before us had a pod of Orca come through which I'm insanely jealous about.
Sharkb8
Dive-aholic

Post by Sharkb8 »

Beautiful photos. Did you give that red lipped batfish a big smooch from all of us?!
Party underwater