Virtual Salish See and beyond dive sim... (with photogrammetry)

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Virtual Salish See and beyond dive sim... (with photogrammetry)

Post by ljjames »

youtu.be/YbVHSYIyrYA

It super slow going as I'm learning Unity as I go, and still need caustics on the plane and more nuanced mesh colliders but... its sorta working.

Painfully rudimentary Mac and PC builds (that will work with HMD if you have one, otherwise its your standard-ish controls) I recommend a 'windowed' player if you are on Mac, no idea re: PC other than I had a friend test it and it seems to exe. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t09y96589fnq ... y-fQa?dl=0
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Virtual Salish See and beyond dive sim... (with photogrammetry)

Post by Gdog »

Pretty cool Laura!
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

more lighting mockups.... Imagining a wide shot with diver swimming over wreck before you the maritime archeologist in training are teleported onto the wreck to start your grid and transects.

youtu.be/9CUazFSYSxE
----
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Today’s two steps forward, two back... colliders working, locomotion busted but working in VR :)

youtu.be/B51_Biw5W9w
----
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

youtu.be/5-D4uiU6xU8

locomotion working again, colliders seem to be behaving, but there are other challenges. Its such an iterative process... again and again and again and again...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 3.02.32 PM.png
----
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

youtu.be/R87J-Y71rOc

low res version, streamed from my quest to phone and recorded there... but... I was so excited to share...

if you've got an Oculus Rift or Quest and would like to do a bit of virtual diving on photogrammetry wrecks, let me know, I need some beta testers (well its pretty rough so more like rudimentary testers) :)

this is a full 360 view from the rift, showing the ability to change light and 'haze' in the water so we can have low vis dives that more properly emulate real life experience. I don't have a good diver avatar yet so yes, that I my disembodied light swimming around in the murk ;)

youtu.be/JGeUAz6qp08
----
SCUBARM79
Avid Diver

Post by SCUBARM79 »

Lily- This is awesome. As a classroom science teacher, I am excited to see your progress. One of the lessons I teach is how light changes underwater, refraction, distortion, color shift, and so on (and why!). With the current status of school being "remote" I'm always looking for resources to keep students engaged with learning and possible futures in science related fields. If you need help holding more spot lights, let us know.