14-june-2020: sunrise beach

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
iotium
Frequent Bubbler

14-june-2020: sunrise beach

Post by iotium »

Tides looked promising for a current-sensitive dive so the buddy/wife and I decided to head to sunrise beach. It was our first time at the site and after reading reports on the internet about the walk to the beach we were nearly shaking with terror as we parked. It's really not that bad, even in drysuits. The walk back up is much more comfortable if your drysuit leaks a bit during the dive too!

We got in 1hr45min before slack at the narrows and totally lucked out with the current - slack for the first 30 minutes and then a weak northbound current developing after that.

This is a fantastic dive site and I'm kicking myself for waiting this long to check it out. Great rocky wall structure and every square inch was seemingly covered with urchins, scallops, and buffalo sculpins. Other highlights include a handful of wolf eels, a mosshead warbonnet, and a grunt sculpin the size of a lima bean that the wife/buddy described as "the highlight of my life". A giant school of some kind of bait fish followed us for about an hour too although they were hard to identify more precisely than Little Silvery Buggers.
scallops, sculpins, and urchins
scallops, sculpins, and urchins
photogenic scallop
photogenic scallop
wolf eel
wolf eel
bait fish school
bait fish school
Near the end of the dive I spotted a jellyfish with some hitchhikers on it and got a quick video but unfortunately it's pretty washed out from my light. Anyone happen to know what the passengers are? My copy of Crabs and Shrimps of the Pacific Coast (Jensen) mentions that some crab larvae use jellyfish as a convenient and edible form of transportation so that was my only guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJF8VoiMaDc
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: 14-june-2020: sunrise beach

Post by Tom Nic »

Beautiful! Thanks for telling the story!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

It’s really great to dive this site from the Bandito as well. Hope they are up and running again soon.
derekcs
Perma Narc'd

Post by derekcs »

Happy to see that one wolf eel is still there in the same crevice!

This is from January:
All underwater photographs of mine are posted at http://www.dereksinger.com
@dereksingerphotography on Instagram
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

GearHead wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:19 pm It’s really great to dive this site from the Bandito as well. Hope they are up and running again soon.
Banditos started running last weekend at limited capacity.

Can't wait for them to start the SJI's :partydance: but I think that's later
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!