Subsurface (application)

General topics about technical diving.
eh.haole
Avid Diver

Subsurface (application)

Post by eh.haole »

A mention (or plug?) for the open source dive analysis and planning application, Subsurface.
https://subsurface-divelog.org/

Due to significant recent work by highly capable software/diving enthusiasts, features now include the ability to download logs from dive computers (e.g. my Shearwater), detailed information about Buhlmann compartment models, detailed deco and technical planning/review, and CCR features. After learning my way around it, I find it just as useful as MultiDeco, for example--though presumably fees paid MultiDeco result in useful reliability for its industry customers and accustomed users.
20200723_110304.jpg
Last edited by eh.haole on Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
orcasc205
Aquaphile

Re: Subsurface (application)

Post by orcasc205 »

Subsurface is a great dive log and planning package. I would not equate the fees paid for programs like MultiDeco to necessarily translate into more reliability. If anything, the open implementation of the Buhlmann ZHL-16C and VPM algorithms allows more transparency into how it works and to allow bugs to be fixed by a broader group of developers.

Full disclosure: I have helped develop some of the dive site import and export and dive statistics features in Subsurface.
eh.haole
Avid Diver

Post by eh.haole »

My fraction of agreement there = 1.0
Though I do hope that my attempt to respect and honor the investments and loyalty of others to MultiDeco etc is appreciated. :rawlings:
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

MultiDeco is the gold standard of dive planning.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
eh.haole
Avid Diver

Post by eh.haole »

Yes, we know ;)
Based on my experience with both thus far, I rate Subsurface to be the silicon standard