Where to go in October 2021

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
orcasc205
Aquaphile

Where to go in October 2021

Post by orcasc205 »

My wife and I have a big anniversary coming up next August, but we're planning on celebrating in October after our youngest is off to college (no, really -- we're only celebrating the wedding anniversary -- I promise.) I'm looking for ideas on where to go that has decent diving, but also a luxurious resort to celebrate our anniversary at. In other words, not a strictly diving vacation, but one where diving can be part of it.

We thought about Cozumel or Playa Del Carmen, but it sounds like October is iffy weather-wise since it is in the middle of Hurricane season and, even if there are no storms, is a bit more rainy. We don't mind going as far as Indonesia or Thailand (or other Asian countries), but would be comfortable in Central or South America or the Caribbean too. Any suggestions on locations and/or resorts to visit?
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Re: Where to go in October 2021

Post by Scubie Doo »

I would look at Grace Bay in Turks and Caicos. It is a beautiful island, east to get to, and amazing wall dives. I went in the March timeframe, so not 100% sure about October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
orcasc205
Aquaphile

Post by orcasc205 »

Scubie, the Turks and Caicos look amazing and I'm definitely adding it to my bucket list of dive destinations, but I'm not sure it is good for October due to hurricanes (we're particularly sensitive about hurricanes having been severely impacted by Hurricanes Irene and Sandy when we lived in New Jersey.)
jerome.oneil
Getting To Know Folks

Post by jerome.oneil »

Ireland and the UK? You're already familiar with cold water, there are a metric ton of non-diving activities to tour around, no cattle boats, and there are some pretty cool places to get wet. Scapa Flow, Giants Causeway, etc...
orcasc205
Aquaphile

Post by orcasc205 »

Jerome, diving in the UK (specifically Scapa Flow) is definitely on my bucket list of dive locations, but we're thinking something warm in October -- the weather in the UK and Ireland is too close to Seattle at that time of year. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

We're strongly considering Fiji now. It seems like there are some resorts that balance between complete private island getaway and decent diving opportunities.

-Doug
jerome.oneil
Getting To Know Folks

Post by jerome.oneil »

orcasc205 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:08 am Jerome, diving in the UK (specifically Scapa Flow) is definitely on my bucket list of dive locations, but we're thinking something warm in October -- the weather in the UK and Ireland is too close to Seattle at that time of year. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
I'm actually sitting in Dublin right now, and yeah, it's cold. :D Summers here are a lot like in Seattle, too. Generally pretty mild.

Fiji sounds great! Happy anniversary!