Need a new drysuit recomendations

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Need a new drysuit recomendations

Post by Nwbrewer »

My old Diving Concepts Neo Z has finally reached the end. Every dive I'm patching a new set of pinholes, mostly next to the seems.

So what's everybody loving these days in a mid range suit? (DUI is nice, but a bit more than what I plan on spending)

I've only ever had the neoprene suit and I'm thinking about switching to a shell any thoughts one way or the other?

Thanks!
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Re: Need a new drysuit recomendations

Post by Jeff Pack »

I still like my whites/aqualung, the santis are very popular.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

deep six has a custom shell they are selling for like 1700. they look nice, not sure who is actually building them though

have not heard anything good about santi's in a long time despite their cult following. failed fabric, failed seams, crazy long repair times ugh
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
DavidR
Just Settling In

Post by DavidR »

If you want to continue with back zip neoprene, I love my Apollo.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

CaptnJack wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:34 pm have not heard anything good about santi's in a long time despite their cult following. failed fabric, failed seams, crazy long repair times ugh
I've got a Santi. Now that 8 does repairs, the turn around time is great. The last repair I had took less than a week!

This is a super comfortable suit, I've never had a better fitting suit, and I had no idea how much a suit fit made until I dove this suit. Way less effort to carry my camera ahead of me and fire off shots.

The suits are definitely not as warm as Bare suits though. I don't think I could possibly dive it without my Weezle Extreme+.

And the default boots are a definite no-go for beach diving. Luckily you can upgrade to built in thicker boots for free.

For me, the main things that made me go Santi are the removable silicone seal with a bigger neck entrace that DUI. And the front zip and availability in my height. It's a pricey suit though!

Go figure, last I had a Bare, I gave up on them based on seams issues and crazy long repair times! Perhaps they're better now, I hope!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Ive been using this, been pretty solid
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I'm not sure how to take this review. How often do you have it in for repair? And what repairs? pinholes? Wearing through in spots? Seems coming undone?

I know drysuits leak, and I know how to repair them (with a 14 year old neo suit I'm getting REALLY good at it), but that suit didn't experience much more that some seal issues for about the first 8 years I had it. I had one big leak in the crotch where the material is highly strained during kicking, but that was it. at like 300 dives I replaced the zipper.

I guess for me a positive is "Doesn't have structural issues" vs "local and quick repairs"

Jake
YellowEye wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:57 pm
CaptnJack wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:34 pm have not heard anything good about santi's in a long time despite their cult following. failed fabric, failed seams, crazy long repair times ugh
I've got a Santi. Now that 8 does repairs, the turn around time is great. The last repair I had took less than a week!

This is a super comfortable suit, I've never had a better fitting suit, and I had no idea how much a suit fit made until I dove this suit. Way less effort to carry my camera ahead of me and fire off shots.

The suits are definitely not as warm as Bare suits though. I don't think I could possibly dive it without my Weezle Extreme+.

And the default boots are a definite no-go for beach diving. Luckily you can upgrade to built in thicker boots for free.

For me, the main things that made me go Santi are the removable silicone seal with a bigger neck entrace that DUI. And the front zip and availability in my height. It's a pricey suit though!

Go figure, last I had a Bare, I gave up on them based on seams issues and crazy long repair times! Perhaps they're better now, I hope!
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Nwbrewer wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:31 am I'm not sure how to take this review. How often do you have it in for repair? And what repairs? pinholes? Wearing through in spots? Seems coming undone?

I know drysuits leak, and I know how to repair them (with a 14 year old neo suit I'm getting REALLY good at it), but that suit didn't experience much more that some seal issues for about the first 8 years I had it. I had one big leak in the crotch where the material is highly strained during kicking, but that was it. at like 300 dives I replaced the zipper.

I guess for me a positive is "Doesn't have structural issues" vs "local and quick repairs"

Jake
Hi
In my case I had barnacle tears from diving deception pass :eek: . The zipper is now starting to go but these are standard zippers and lifetime. So thus far I think the build has been acceptable.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Ah hah! user error! Been there a few times.
YellowEye wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:43 am
Nwbrewer wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:31 am I'm not sure how to take this review. How often do you have it in for repair? And what repairs? pinholes? Wearing through in spots? Seems coming undone?

Jake
Hi
In my case I had barnacle tears from diving deception pass :eek: . The zipper is now starting to go but these are standard zippers and lifetime. So thus far I think the build has been acceptable.

wlkerboh
Just Settling In

Post by wlkerboh »

I am also in the market for a new drysuit. Does anyone have experience with ordering or diving a Seaskin Nova?
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I've had my Bare drysuit now for 6 years it's been a great suit , I've had to do a neck seal, and change out the boots .. but the tri lam fabric is very tough and durable .. I was very skeptical from going from a neoprene suit To a fabric tri lam... I didn't have much Faith because I thought for sure the material was going to tear or get holes... But that's not the case because this fabric is very tough and durable... I did have zipper issue but I got it fixed and replaced by the manufacturer T zip
My suit cost $1400.. I was measured and sized and the suit is built by bare to fit my body
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Resurrecting my old post since I never picked up a new suit. These guys came well recommended tonight, anybody ha e one of their suits?

http://www.diveudev.com/tailored-drysuits/

YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

I haven't heard of those. In the meantime, I can't say my Santi has held up too well, doesn't feel like it was worth the dough dropped
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

My Dive buddy was a bit less than thrilled with his after a time either. I'v been hearing that a lot lately on the Santis
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Jake - Like you I dove a Neo-Z for 10 years. I've actually had three of them- as friends were getting out of diving I picked up theirs. Five years ago, on a key man/black Friday deal at 5th D, I bought a Santi Emotion....
I have a love-hate with my Santi Emotion. I love the fit, design, boots and how light it is for travel. I hate that material is super thin and I'm patching it all of the time. When it doesn't leak it's an awesome suit. In retrospect I should have went with one of their heavier materials- I'm typically in my drysuit hauling tanks, prepping the boat etc. which is where most of the leaks come from.

My next drysuit will be a Black Pearl. I met the owner, Danny Schelvis, last year on an Egypt trip- He's both a GUE and UTD instructor and really knows how to build a suit that accommodates DIR standards. I had plans for me to meet him in Spain to dive and build a custom suit but COVID got in the way.

FYI - I have one Neo-Z left, stock size XL - It has a bad zipper and needs seals but the seams and material are in great shape. You can have it at the amazing price of a 6 pack of microbrew and a tow-in on your favorite mountain bike trail.
jerome.oneil
Getting To Know Folks

Post by jerome.oneil »

What issues are showing up with Santis? They look like Cadillacs on the rack. I'm pondering one. Should I ponder others?
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I opted to go with the Bare TECHDRY and it's on the way now! Switching from crushed neo to trilam has left me at an insulation deficit. What's your favorite undergarment? I prefer a 2 piece. I checked out the Hollis Undergarments, and while I like the look and construction, their sizing seems to be a ways off. In must things I'm between xl and xxl, I tried on the xxxl and couldn't move my arms anymore!

Thanks everybody, looking forward to warm dry dives soon!

Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Nwbrewer wrote:I opted to go with the Bare TECHDRY and it's on the way now! Switching from crushed neo to trilam has left me at an insulation deficit. What's your favorite undergarment? I prefer a 2 piece. I checked out the Hollis Undergarments, and while I like the look and construction, their sizing seems to be a ways off. In must things I'm between xl and xxl, I tried on the xxxl and couldn't move my arms anymore!

Thanks everybody, looking forward to warm dry dives soon!
I like the two piece 4th Element garments. Great fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I have the thinner 4th elem now and love it. Who's the local 4th element dealer? (I bought mine from NWSD if that tells you how long ago I got it)

orcasc205
Aquaphile

Post by orcasc205 »

8 Diving in Des Moines stocks Fourth Element now.