Diver missing at Mukilteo Lighthouse park

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Diver missing at Mukilteo Lighthouse park

Post by Norris »

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/authorit ... -mukilteo/

Around 9:15 a.m., two divers were reported to be in distress, said Mukilteo police officer Nathan Fabia. One came to shore. Another remained missing after 10 a.m

9:15 would not be a good time to be at lighthouse park
Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 11.20.31 AM.png
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Diver missing at Mukilteo Lighthouse park

Post by Norris »

I hope the diver is simply floating and moving with that crazy current. Crossing fingers
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

No good. I agree, not a good time for the lighthouse park. I'm hoping the missing diver is hiking back along the railroad tracks.....
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Oh no! Hope they're ok!

That's a confusing chart. I think the green is what you want to read? I don't know muk too well, nor the station used on that chart, but that doesn't look too terrible given it would be more protected on an ebb?
tide.png
tide.png (56.73 KiB) Viewed 3328 times
-Eric
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

my mark is the time of morning, in terms of 14+ foot exchange. That sight is pretty current sensitive so really would have been a bad time to be in the water.

You spelled "You should be using pnwdiving.com" wrong. <wink>
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Oh, didn't read this was lighthouse, thought it was tdock. Oh yeah that would not be good!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I will, (and have!) done the T-dock at just about any current, but honestly today's exchange would have me thinking about the lake, and definitely keep me off the lighthouse side even with a scooter. Not seeing any updates other than they continue to search.....
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Nwbrewer wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:57 pm I will, (and have!) done the T-dock at just about any current, but honestly today's exchange would have me thinking about the lake, and definitely keep me off the lighthouse side even with a scooter. Not seeing any updates other than they continue to search.....
Yeah I I tried other stories and some say that the second diver never surfaced, which is what prompted the first diver to alert authorities. Truly sad, and a reminder to really know your dive sites. If you have any doubts, there are so many resources to access (nwdiveclub, numerous facebook groups, Reddit, etc). If there is one thing you can say about our dive community is that we help each other and are usually happy to share tidal knowledge.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Someone posted that the two divers were inexperienced. They went in 5 minutes before the poster. Poster said viz was really bad and current was ripping. The diver that made it surfaced near boat launch and he was out of air. Doesnt look promising. I really feel for the survivor, that is going to be a difficult thing to deal with.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Rick I'm guessing you are reading posts from the same person I am on FB. Sounds like they went in a the T-dock, survivor surfaced at the lighthouse park. That a long ways.

YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

XTide shows a scarier picture:
xtide.png
xtide.png (6.43 KiB) Viewed 3258 times
pnw
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Nwbrewer wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:54 pm Rick I'm guessing you are reading posts from the same person I am on FB. Sounds like they went in a the T-dock, survivor surfaced at the lighthouse park. That a long ways.
Yeah man that is a LONG ways.

Newer divers always remember, it is better to simply be floating somewhere, rather than stay down and tackle uncertainty. Get to surface, remember to hum on the way up, inflate BCD, wait for help. I understand this is not an option when doing technical dives, but generally speaking when doing recreational, surfacing is always a viable option when things go to shit, you get lost, you lose your buddy, etc....

If you are not sure of something, ask the HUGE diving community, shewt even if you ARE sure of something, ask anyways. In my time of diving, I have not ran into many divers that are unwilling to share knowledge. Actually I have met a lot of divers that are happy to share knowledge even when not asked...lol

With the resources they had out that day, a floating diver would have been found.

Just a real bummer and I can't stop thinking of the survivor, how difficult that would be to swallow.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Norris wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:25 pm
With the resources they had out that day, a floating diver would have been found.
For those that remember Uncle Pug on SB, he wrote something that has stuck with my through my years of diving here. I don't recall the exact quote, but basically, "Get to the surface and float. With the currents and boat traffic in Puget Sound, sooner or later you are going to hit shore or get picked up by a boat."

A friend sent me an idea that I think is pretty good, something along the lines of a sign posted near the entrance at all the local sites used for OW training, reminding of the currents, with a QR code that links to the NOAA current predictions for the sight you are diving. I thought that would be pretty cool and simple to implement. A low budget version would be to add it to the maps that have been laminated and posted at the T-dock, and maybe on the maps that are sold by UWS for EUP.
Norris wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:25 pm
Just a real bummer and I can't stop thinking of the survivor, how difficult that would be to swallow.
I hope someone is reaching out to this guy. That's got to be really hard.

Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

get to surface, and have a dive alert....
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Nwbrewer wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:27 am

For those that remember Uncle Pug on SB, he wrote something that has stuck with my through my years of diving here. I don't recall the exact quote, but basically, "Get to the surface and float. With the currents and boat traffic in Puget Sound, sooner or later you are going to hit shore or get picked up by a boat."

A friend sent me an idea that I think is pretty good, something along the lines of a sign posted near the entrance at all the local sites used for OW training, reminding of the currents, with a QR code that links to the NOAA current predictions for the sight you are diving. I thought that would be pretty cool and simple to implement. A low budget version would be to add it to the maps that have been laminated and posted at the T-dock, and maybe on the maps that are sold by UWS for EUP.
This!

A laminated QR code placed right by the dive map at T-dock would be cool. I am going to create something and work with ole George to implement.

EXAMPLE
This site is current sensitive, have you checked your tidal exchange?
Anything above a 8 foot exchange can be challenging at this site.
Please scan below and check your tides for your dive.

{code}
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

A laminated QR code placed right by the dive map at T-dock would be cool. I am going to create something and work with ole George to implement.

EXAMPLE

{code}
Great idea. Signage would be a big help and raise awareness. Online resources would also be a benefit.

Hey YellowEye - would it be possible to add Mukilteo to the Slack Planning section of PWNDiving.com? Perhaps some of the folks here can help suggest safe parameters for the site.
Dave
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

dlh wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:38 am

EXAMPLE

{code}
Great idea. Signage would be a big help and raise awareness. Online resources would also be a benefit.

Hey YellowEye - would it be possible to add Mukilteo to the Slack Planning section of PWNDiving.com? Perhaps some of the folks here can help suggest safe parameters for the site.
Would be happy to do so for muk or any dive site if someone can provide the params. I need info on which station (xtide or NOAA), correction and maximums for the ✅ best, ⚠️medium, and 💥worse yet still divable exchanges for high and low slacks. Any muk experts on here that can provide that?
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Terrible, looks like a great guy
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I know a lot of us in the North end dive at Mukilteo... It's pretty much our backyard and where we do most of our dives because it's easy to get in, as a shore dive... With that said I've been spanked and so have a lot of us by current weather it was coming from the ferry, or from nowhere... Since the removal of the large fuel Pier our lovely Muk dive site has become current sensitive now.. where before it was pretty much diveable all the time...
It is kind of sad that these two guys who were brand new divers made the wrong decision to go diving on the wrong tide exchange... I wish these two divers would have reached out to somebody in the community and got advice and information about Mukilteo... Puget sound is not your typical scuba diving... We have current, we have bad visibility, and we have cold water..
Rick and I used to love going to Mukilteo on the worst days after severe rainfall, just to see how bad we could dive in terrible visibility what's really funny is we met Jake one night at Muk, and became friends ... Always dive within your limits and your skill level if you don't know ask someone scuba friends are the best
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen