Getting reeducated

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
Redleg0811
Avid Diver

Getting reeducated

Post by Redleg0811 »

Hi All,

Getting back into diving after over 20 years. Last dive was 2020. My certs are from between 96-97.
The wife is going for OW and I am doing a full refresh on my OW in Dec. We are also doing the dry suit

The other certs I have are
Advanced
Rescue
Night
Search and recovery
Deep
Master diver
AI (I tossed my card long ago as I was passed the year instructing and realized I didn't want to instruct)

I pretty much rolled from one class to the next as I just payed for books working as a rescue dummy and diver. Looking at my dive log from when I was younger I am not all that happy with my note taking. I also find that I only have my cards from OW, Advanced, Night, and my Master diver. I went on Naui's site and saw that I could search for my certs, but it didn't ome back with anything. Maybe too long ago.

Thing is it has been so long that I don't put any stock in any of these certs. As I am reading my wife's Open water the stuff is coming back to me, but even after doing my refresher I think I would only rate myself at OW.

To my question are there refresher for these other courses or does it make sense to just do the full course again since it has been so long?

Thanks
Martin
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Re: Getting reeducated

Post by Nwbrewer »

My 2psi -

Get the refresher, and go diving. Dive within the limits you feel you and your wife are comfortable within, and have fun. Work on your bouyancy,and navigation, and get comfortable in the water and with your gear.

When you reach the point where you are bored with what your OW cert can do for you, start shopping of a local instructor who is willing to do a "tune up" dive with you and work on your skills, rather than increasing your card collection.

I'm up in the Everett area and I'd be happy to dive with after work some evening with you and give you a tour of Mukilteo once you get your classes done.

Jake
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Redleg0811
Avid Diver

Post by Redleg0811 »

Hi Jake,

Sorry took me so long to respond. I couldn't post from my phone. I appreciate the offer and will definitely take you up on your offer. I also got the same offer from Capt Jack from Bubbles and Suds. It is great to have such a nice community to learn from.

After class we will have to rent gear for a while.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

We at Bubbles and Suds would gladly take you out. We dive on Wednesdays (decent tides) and they are usually night dives as we enter water at 6:30ish. Then a meal after the dive and suds (should you partake) and can go through challenges, questions, what nots
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Redleg0811
Avid Diver

Post by Redleg0811 »

Sounds good! Probably be a bit as we need to finish this weekend and then once my wife feels comfortable with day dives take a night dive class.