Hello Above & Below

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
BagpiperDon
Getting To Know Folks

Hello Above & Below

Post by BagpiperDon »

NWDC has been recommended to me for a while by a friend / dive buddy / dive co-worker :smt064 -- thought I should finally take the plunge :eek: (heh heh...). Mostly work diving right now, would like to be doing more recreational dives -- but at least the pay and crew is good! As-needed I'm updating my dive-gear that Cousteau gave me :rawlings: -- hunting for a used Zeagle Ranger and a few other pieces. Looking to get better insight on certain area recreational dives. :BDub:
Boarderguy
Frequent Bubbler

Re: Hello Above & Below

Post by Boarderguy »

Welcome to the club! Are you commercial diving or DM/instructors?
- Jacob -
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Welcome!
Which recreational dives are you interested in info for?
-Eric
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Welcome to the board!
BagpiperDon
Getting To Know Folks

Post by BagpiperDon »

Boarderguy wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:32 pm Welcome to the club! Are you commercial diving or DM/instructors?
Thank you.

Mostly pulling weeds in marinas and some swim areas. It isn't glamorous, but the work is hard and I don't respect myself. :rofl:

I've also been doing some zincs and a few other things under boats. I'd like to do more of this work. Been doing it for the same pay, WAY LESS strenuous, and doesn't muck up your gear like pulling weeds.
BagpiperDon
Getting To Know Folks

Post by BagpiperDon »

YellowEye wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:14 pm Welcome!
-Eric
Thank you. There are some dives around Whidbey Island that I'd like to know more about. A buddy of mine has been talking about doing the drift dive around the middle of Deception Pass Bridge. Also, there is supposed to be some sort of rare rock formation somewhere in Penn Cove.
BagpiperDon
Getting To Know Folks

Post by BagpiperDon »

Gdog wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:09 pm Welcome to the board!
Thank you. Heard good things about the site, glad to finally join and see it.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

BagpiperDon wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:30 pm
YellowEye wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:14 pm Welcome!
-Eric
Thank you. There are some dives around Whidbey Island that I'd like to know more about. A buddy of mine has been talking about doing the drift dive around the middle of Deception Pass Bridge. Also, there is supposed to be some sort of rare rock formation somewhere in Penn Cove.
Hi
FYI deception pass is not your typical drift dive. It should actually be done on a very mild slack, coming only a few times a month. Inevitably there'll be current, and the backeddy can come hard in your face with hard turbulance. Best to have lots of practice in current (including upswells and downwells) ahead of time and have an experienced mentor take you there.

Penn Cove -- I don't know about such a rock formation. Perhaps JanK does!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
BagpiperDon
Getting To Know Folks

Post by BagpiperDon »

Valuable input on the Deception Pass drift dive. One of my co-worker / dive buddies has suggested we do it. He may have the experience, I don't have enough from what you're saying. Also, I'm trying to update my BC -- some the problems my current one has given me ..... from his description of that drift dive, it sounded unwise to do it until I have at least that 1 piece of gear I trust better. SCUBA Santa was kind this past Xmas, so I'm in the process of shopping for a Zeagle Ranger. The little I've gotten to try one felt better (freer ROM) and more trustworthy than my mid-80s better-than tourist grade BC. It's been fine for work, we stay within 30ft / 1 atmo .... if you have a problem, you just come up. Still though, even for my work I'd rather have something more robust.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Welcome to the club!

If what you're looking for is improved range of motion, look at a backplate and wing. Puts the weight where you want it (over your lungs as opposed to around your waist) and it doesn't get much simpler or durable than 1 piece of 2" webbing for the harness. I had a ranger knock off when I started diving, and sold it to buy a BP after someone loaned me one to try.

BagpiperDon wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:09 pm Valuable input on the Deception Pass drift dive. One of my co-worker / dive buddies has suggested we do it. He may have the experience, I don't have enough from what you're saying. Also, I'm trying to update my BC -- some the problems my current one has given me ..... from his description of that drift dive, it sounded unwise to do it until I have at least that 1 piece of gear I trust better. SCUBA Santa was kind this past Xmas, so I'm in the process of shopping for a Zeagle Ranger. The little I've gotten to try one felt better (freer ROM) and more trustworthy than my mid-80s better-than tourist grade BC. It's been fine for work, we stay within 30ft / 1 atmo .... if you have a problem, you just come up. Still though, even for my work I'd rather have something more robust.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Redleg0811
Avid Diver

Post by Redleg0811 »

Way back in the day When they had just come out I had a Zeagle Ranger and loved it. Now that I am getting back into diving I am going the route that NWBrewer is recommending.
BagpiperDon
Getting To Know Folks

Post by BagpiperDon »

I've been introduced to back-plate rigs lately -- *REALLY LIKE THE CONCEPT*.
My tax bracket isn't ready to introduce me to them though.
ZR felt good when I tried it -- looks to give me all the function I want and the price-range I need to operate within.
Now I just need to figure out the sizing with their components.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

A BP/W doesn't have to be expensive, unless someone hits it with a car the plates last forever. There is a HOG single tank setup on the Rain City Scuba facebook group right now for $320.
BagpiperDon wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:03 am I've been introduced to back-plate rigs lately -- *REALLY LIKE THE CONCEPT*.
My tax bracket isn't ready to introduce me to them though.
ZR felt good when I tried it -- looks to give me all the function I want and the price-range I need to operate within.
Now I just need to figure out the sizing with their components.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
BagpiperDon
Getting To Know Folks

Post by BagpiperDon »

I think I saw that @Nwbrewer -- this one? https://www.facebook.com/groups/2041166 ... 9808287940
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

BagpiperDon wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:16 pm I think I saw that @Nwbrewer -- this one? https://www.facebook.com/groups/2041166 ... 9808287940
Yeah, but I didn't notice it's only a 23lb wing. In my mind that's marginal for cold water diving, you want more like 35-40.

BagpiperDon
Getting To Know Folks

Post by BagpiperDon »

I'm also planning to get one of these suspender-style, side-panel weight-release weight belt thingamadoos. I asked Santa last month and all he brought me was a stupid pony ... WTH am I supposed to do with a pony?!? Anyway, my Cousteau era mithril wetsuit wore-out and has been replaced, my same-era weight belt more / less works but the suspender-style looks smarter for my purposes. With that swapped, I might finally look like a contemporary diver with current gear VS someone going for a vintage retro look. After that, I just need to update my dive computer ...