New to scuba, have yet to dive cold water

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
peterbrazil
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

New to scuba, have yet to dive cold water

Post by peterbrazil »

I’m new to diving, got certified last year, but have only dived a couple times on vacation in warm water. I’m gonna need to get a wetsuit and more weight…
I’ve tried living in landlocked states and i just can’t do it, I’ve got to be near the water. I’m living and working in the Port Townsend to Kingston area. I want to spend a lot more time in the water around here - I’m a hunter and fisher, so i want to try spear fishing here and free diving for crab; and i want to log recreational dives locally.
My number one recreation is mountain biking, but I’ve wanted to SCUBA for as long as i can remember. I’m really looking forward to getting into the dive community and making it a more regular activity in my life.
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: New to scuba, have yet to dive cold water

Post by ScubaJess »

Regrettably, there are very few, if any, fish left for hunting. 😭 The only instances where we come across fish are within Marine Parks, where fishing is strictly prohibited. Therefore, I urge you to adopt photography as a means of capturing the beauty of these marine creatures instead. If you are fortunate enough to spot a fish, take its photograph 📸🐟🐙 so people topside can appreciate how amazing they are and hopefully treat our waters with more respect.🤗

Welcome to the beautiful PNW! Happy Diving :eric: :partydance:
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Don-B
Dive-aholic

Post by Don-B »

Welcome to the club. Like Jess said there not much left out there in the Puget Sound for spearing or fishing. Only thing really open is Ling cod and it's only a three week season. The Hood Canal is completely closed too. Only good fishing left is on the coast. I've been out there many times but I would never take a newer diver. It's really tough and difficult conditions .

If you just want to get out and explore there are a lot of us that would be glad to. I live close to the boat launch in Seabeck myself.
peterbrazil
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by peterbrazil »

Thanks for the info. I've seen most spearfishing is done out on the coast, and I'd definitely need to work my way up to that. I think it's legal to spear flounder and sole year round in most marine areas, and there are definitely some places in the canal that are plentiful. But that's really a secondary goal of mine, and just for freediving.
Short terms goals are getting into the water more around here, especially scuba. I don't want to try to learn anything new, like photography, until I get more dives under my belt and don't have to commit all of my focus on staying alive and not floating away.
I'm headed to Cabo to dive in a couple weeks, and I really want to start doing some weekend dives around here when I get back.