Neutral/Positively Buoyant Fins

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Neutral/Positively Buoyant Fins

Post by enchantmentdivi »

Hey there, I am looking for recommendations on neutral and positively buoyant fins. Anybody have any that they like?

I’m experiencing “heavy legs”, and it’s driving me nuts. I’m diving in freshwater, steel tanks, 3mm wetsuit, with Apollo BioFins. If I was in my drysuit, I would not have this problem. I cannot adjust my tank position because the first stage will bonk me in the head if I do. I cannot adjust weights to adjust trim because I’m not using any weight! :) I can fix my trim temporarily by keeping my arms out in front of me, but I can’t do that for the entire dive. So, unless anybody else has any other ideas, the only solution that I can think of is to try neutral or positively buoyant fins. Thoughts?
Jenn
GearHead
Submariner

Re: Neutral/Positively Buoyant Fins

Post by GearHead »

You might try Mares Avanti Quattro fins. They are classic rec/tech fins that are lightweight and very close to neutral.
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

Another thought:
What type of BC are you using? A backplate & wing combo would allow experimentation with positioning of weights and wing style.
Boarderguy
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Boarderguy »

Another +1 for the Mares Quattro. I dive them wet and dry (2 different sizes) and have done so dive 2001. They are very close to neutral and a very powerful fin.
- Jacob -
eh.haole
Avid Diver

Post by eh.haole »

Scubapro Go fins have worked for me, as well as the Apeks RK3 if I need more drive and catch for back-kicking.

What thickness are your booties? I wouldn't bother using anything under 5mm. Size the fins for 5mm neoprene boots. This protect your feet and it will counteract sinking fins.

A lot of people also underinflate their BC. Can you hover while crossing your legs and holding the fins in your hands? Most people end up needing to inflate the BC a bit more.

At 'minimum weight,' you should not be able to descend until you completely empty the BC, completely stop moving your body (especially legs/fins), and still have to breathe out to actually fully sink. Most people (including me at times) can remove ~6+ lbs of lead.