ISO Beginner Dive Gear (Seattle)

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
TBRenegade
Just Settling In

ISO Beginner Dive Gear (Seattle)

Post by TBRenegade »

Hey y'all.

Got my OW a few weeks ago and have been aiming for weekly dives. I am already trying to branch away from rental gear and want to begin assembling my personal setup ASAP. If you have functioning equipment you're looking to pass on (sell) to the next generation, I'm looking for:

-1st Stage Reg/Octo
-BCD
-Light
-Hood/Gloves
-Dive Knife

I'm 5'5 and 135lbs, interested exclusively in cold water local dives.

Thanks!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Re: ISO Beginner Dive Gear (Seattle)

Post by H20doctor »

Your best bet for all that stuff is Craigslist.. I got a tank rags and a BC for a hundred bucks.. when I started scuba diving in 1999

But there's a lot of great deals on Craigslist and just type in scuba gear or scuba this or scuba tank there's a lot of good used gear..
Als check garage sales on Craigslist,
Other sources for good gear is eBay OfferUp Facebook marketplace Etc Etc Etc
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
coldfinger
Frequent Bubbler

Post by coldfinger »

I agree with checking CL - that's how I got my drysuit and insulation when I started. On FB, I'd stay local - e.g., Rain City Scuba and PNW SCUBA buy sell trade. I've seen too many reports of people being scammed for high value stuff when being shipped to feel very comfortable buying from far away, but sometimes due diligence can reassure you.

For a cheap, good light for starting, I can recommend the Solarstorm DX4S (e.g., https://www.aliexpress.us/item/22518325 ... pt=glo2usa) mounted in a soft Goodman handle. It is long, but that never bothered me and it is pretty bright with reasonably sharp focus. I only recently stopped using mine when I picked up a used Dusty can light. Mine has been reliable and with 2 26650 batteries and easily lasts through 2 dives on the brightest setting; not sure if 2 18650s will last for 2 dives as I've never tried. Actually, now that I think about it, I have an unused one if you want one and don't want to wait for shipping. It cost me more than the current Aliexpress price, but I doubt I'll ever need it so happy to sell for, say, $25 - just PM me if you're interested. Anyway, it's a much better/brighter light than the ones I first started with and, unlike some of them, hasn't flooded. Price/performance is hard to beat, though I expect there are other equally good inexpensive dive lights from China; this is just the one I found.
TBRenegade
Just Settling In

Post by TBRenegade »

Thanks for the advice. Currently doing a bit of bartering in craigslist for some gear, the light is a great resource as well.

Much appreciated!