It's sincerely a calling: total N00b looking to engage

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
JSneva
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

It's sincerely a calling: total N00b looking to engage

Post by JSneva »

My name is Jenessa. I'm new here,

I came from a single mom in Spokane and when we would "vacation" to Seattle, we'd go to the pier to eat all the oysters we could. After highschool and college where I studied fine art photography, I dove back into restaurants--I applied at the only restaurant I knew in Seattle as a 22 year old, Elliot's oyster house. After culinary school and ten years cooking through Seattle, I now co-own my own restaurant, Taurus Ox, with my partner. We offer Laotian food, and Laos happens to be the only country in Southeast Asia that's landlocked.

I still find the smell of the ocean intoxicating and nostalgic. I started shadowing my friend every Tuesday sailing Duck dodge this summer, and I can't get close enough to the water. The sea is calling and I have to get in it--Deep in it. My most endearing dreams are when I'm swimming (and breathing) underwater. I'm searching for a sail boat and simultaneously looking to become certified in diving. I plan to go long. For the first time in my life I have some freedom to pursue a passion I sought out myself.

Where should I start my education? What advice do you have for a long journey in Salish Sea diving?

TLDR; I'm located centrally in Seattle, looking to pursue diving longterm. Where should I start? As a restaurant person, I don't know many able or cabable.

que "Divers" by Joanna Newsom
orcasc205
Aquaphile

Re: It's sincerely a calling: total N00b looking to engage

Post by orcasc205 »

Welcome, Jenessa. I think you will find that the diving community here in Seattle is very welcoming and once you learn to dive in the cold waters of Puget Sound, diving almost anywhere else in the world is relatively easy. While the diving here is a bit more challenging than in warm, tropical waters, it is definitely worth it -- the nutrients that run from the rain forests into the Salish Sea support a huge variety of very interesting creatures that you can really only see through diving. Your first time seeing a Giant Pacific Octopus or a Six Gill Shark or the cutest Pacific Spiny Lumpsuckers up close will blow your mind.

Given the challenges of diving here (cold water, limited visibility, shore entries, etc.) it is important to find a dive shop that caters to local diving rather than just getting people ready to travel to warmer locations to dive. I personally recommend Eight Diving in Des Moines. Their instructors are dedicated local divers and they can combine drysuit training in your initial Open Water certification which will make diving here much more comfortable. As you're probably aware, the water temperature in the Sound doesn't vary that much throughout the year, so a drysuit is recommended year-around.

Again, welcome to the addiction.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Jenessa, welcome to the board and as mentioned above, the addiction! I have to second Eight Diving https://8diving.com/ as my top choice, they do a fantastic job. Plus they are close to one of the most popular shore diving sites in the Seattle area. Another consideration is to visit a couple of the shops that are easiest for you to get to. There are several good dive shops in the area. Trust me, you wont regret jumping into (pun intented) to this hobby. Its a whole new world!
Also as mentioned above, you will find the local diving community to be very welcoming, and when you become a PNW diver, there is a certain level of accomplishment that is recognized most of the other places you will travel to for diving.
Feel free to post any questions you might have!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Welcome!

There are many great local dive shops for training, all with different price points and specialties.

In Seattle, I've seen notably good new divers come out of Annelise P's classes at underwater Sports Seattle.

Join us for a Thursday dive sometime after your classes... there's a lot to learn from your fellow diver!

Dive local and dive often... Get out and explore a variety of sites!

-Eric
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
ktuli
Avid Diver

Post by ktuli »

If you are interested in purely individual training to get an instructor that is paying attention to you and only you, check out Jade Scuba Adventures - they are located in Port Orchard, but Ashley will meet you at the dive sites that suit your needs. It will be a bit more expensive than a group class, but in scuba training, individual attention can make a world of difference.

Whoever you pick, ask around and get some feedback... and if you're uncomfortable with a situation make sure the instructor is aware, if you're uncomfortable with the instructor, find a different one.

Enjoy the water!