Silfra fissure, Iceland

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Silfra fissure, Iceland

Post by Jan K »

Although I made it to Iceland and stood on the edge of my bucket list dive site, I was told that I am too old to done scuba gear and get in. Everybody over 60 years needs a permission from a doctor.
And so that is why I was snorkeling instead of diving the famous place, Silfra fissure between the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates. The over 325 feet visibility is also nice.
Maya and donned drysuits and floated through the Silfra fissure under overcast Icelandic skies. Cold (between 36 and 39 degrees F), but beautiful.
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Re: Silfra fissure, Iceland

Post by mz53480 »

Wow!
So cool. Sorry it didn’t work out to dive, but great pics!!!!
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Jan : We all know you would have dived circles around them. We age differntly. Still, having such an adventure, and with Maya, is really a gift.
Still rooting for you, Curt :supz:
Happy to be alive.
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

I did this dive when I was over 60 but before the requirements were so restrictive. I think you nailed it while snorkeling, Jan, not much more to see. If you ever get back to Iceland you should also consider diving with the Strytan Dive center north of Akureryi. Great dive guide and you get to visit a hydrothermal vent at recreational depths. You now need a doctor's clearance to dive anywhere if you are over 60 or if you take any prescribed meds. Can't say I agree with DAN on this new requirement. Last trip I took they thought I had forged the permission form, even though my doctor's office had signed the form.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

I now know about the requirements, but you right, with visibility like this, you swim above it all and see it. Although it would be nice to be little deeper to add different perspective in the deeper part of the fissure. Well, old age is upon some of us and we have to deal with it the best we can...
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Regardless of having to settle for snorkeling, you did the usual fantastic job of photographing and reporting on the site. Its also on my bucket list.....Im over 60 too. Thank you for the photos and report!