Sea Pens. Millions of 'em!

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
60south
Pelagic

Sea Pens. Millions of 'em!

Post by 60south »

Went for an exploration dive off the Diamond Point boat ramp the other day, heading west. After a bit we found The Sea Pens. A bazillion of them! Really cool to see.

Video link
Screen capture.
Screen capture.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Re: Sea Pens. Millions of 'em!

Post by H20doctor »

:calvin: Wow. ... Hey Buddy where did you get in at.. the boat ramp

youtu.be/IGhns_pHeXM
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

H20doctor wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:35 pm :calvin: Wow. ... Hey Buddy where did you get in at.. the boat ramp
Yo.

Walked in at the boat ramp. Scootered to the west.

It's a public boat ramp in a private neighborhood. There's a wide gravel area about 100' up the street where you can park and gear up (at least, nobody complained while we were there.)
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Ya .. my friend has a house there on the beach, family property for 20 years....
Correct private community.. i looked for bottles there on the other side because they were supposed to be tall wooden ships that anchored in there during storms in the harbor.. but I didn't have any luck finding any bottles where the picnic area is in the private Cabana Beach thingy... The eel Grass beds are amazing super super thick super super tall..
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

H20doctor wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:23 pm Correct private community.. i looked for bottles there on the other side because they were supposed to be tall wooden ships that anchored
That may be the quarantine station? On the, um, east side of Diamond Point are some old pilings near a vacant lot. As I understand it, that was the quarantine location for incoming tall ships back in the 1880's (?) before they moved on to PT. Seems like the perfect place for bottle hunting.

It drops off really fast. And it's silty. And it goes deep. It was still going down down when I said NOPE and decided that the sea could keep whatever is down there.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

ya ... i had heard it was there for the Tall ships also.. my friend has a long time familt property there about 6 houses down from the boat ramp ...
If any one wants to stay the weekend out there give me a PM