Science diver* transplant looking to find community and keep up my diving experience

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
freneticmango
Getting To Know Folks

Science diver* transplant looking to find community and keep up my diving experience

Post by freneticmango »

Hi all! I'm a marine science PhD dropout. I have had rescue and AAUS scientific dive training but have since left my institution (UCSD) in around May of last year and moved to Portland. The experience taught me academia is not for me, but diving absolutely is! I miss it very much, and would like to keep up my experience and find community here in the PNW. Grateful to have finally found this forum and looking forward to getting to know y'all in the new year. :luv:
60south
Pelagic

Re: Science diver* transplant looking to find community and keep up my diving experience

Post by 60south »

Welcome! What kind of marine science were you into?
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Re: Science diver* transplant looking to find community and keep up my diving experience

Post by Tangfish »

Welcome to NWDC! Glad you found your passion even if there was a wrong turn toward academia along the way. Better to realize it before going even further in that direction!

You’ll find many divers here but what’s probably the best is to jump in on a weekly dive in the South Sound sometime. ScubaJess, Yellow Eye and others get together regularly at a dive site called Redondo which is probably about a 2 hour drive from Portland. It’s a bit of a haul. You could also try Hood Canal.

It’s best to link up with someone who’s familiar with a dive site, but if not there are detailed dive site listings here on the board.

Welcome!
freneticmango
Getting To Know Folks

Post by freneticmango »

Thanks for the warm welcome! I am a physical chemist turned ocean scientist, my research was centered around kelp forests and the study of viscosity in the water column using viscosity sensitive dye. Happy to give more detail if anybody wants to be bored to sleep.

I would love to link up for a dive! I know zero about the area, I am originally from Texas. I will be hunting around the boards looking for buddies and dives. Hope everyone is staying safe in the snowpocalypse!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Welcome! Hope to see you at some dives.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Welcome to the PNW! It would be great to dive sometime. Do you have a drysuit? If not I highly recommend a drysuit and drysuit class. It will make diving year-round a lot of fun!
🌊🤿🐟🐠🐙 I hope we can dive together soon 🤩
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
freneticmango
Getting To Know Folks

Post by freneticmango »

Thanks for the advice! I don't have a dry suit unfortunately, most of my dives have been in SoCal where my 8 mm was sufficient. Do you have any recommendations for cost effective ways to get my hands on one? I'm not working at the moment (work opportunities and ideas welcome!!) so cost will be a factor, but I'm very flexible as far as scheduling!
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

freneticmango wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:54 am I don't have a dry suit unfortunately, most of my dives have been in SoCal where my 8 mm was sufficient. Do you have any recommendations for cost effective ways to get my hands on one?
https://seaskin.co.uk/

Have someone help measure you. I recommend the membrane rather than the neoprene suits, quality seems to be higher. Lead time after the order is submitted is sometimes ~8-12 weeks. I recently ordered a simple, nice custom drysuit from them for about $900, which sounds like a lot but is actually super cheap.

Oh, and take a drysuit class like ScubaJess suggests. It's a whole different buoyancy challenge. That, a hood, gloves, and a fluffy undergarment (Weezle Extreme?) will keep you diving happy all year 'round.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

Bonus: I stumbled on this the other day-- the most screaming deal for soft weights I've ever found! Less than $1/pound. Holy smokes, am I reading this right? Soft weights are usually $5 a pound or more. (Might be a mistake, grab it fast.)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Soft-Weight- ... om=/search
Last edited by 60south on Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
freneticmango
Getting To Know Folks

Post by freneticmango »

Oh wow this is very cheap for a dry suit and weights!! Thanks for the heads up!!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

60south wrote:Bonus: I stumbled on this the other day-- the most screaming deal for soft weights I've ever found! Less than $1/pound. Holy smokes, am I reading this right? Soft weights are usually $5 a pound or more. (Might be a mistake, grab it fast.)

What a deal, thank you I grabbed some!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

60south wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:28 am Bonus: I stumbled on this the other day-- the most screaming deal for soft weights I've ever found! Less than $1/pound. Holy smokes, am I reading this right? Soft weights are usually $5 a pound or more. (Might be a mistake, grab it fast.)

AND FREE SHIPPING?!?!?!

wow
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

I have a Diving Concepts "crushed" neoprene drysuit that I am looking to sell. It has Viking dry glove rings attached and I have drygloves that I will send with the suit.

Send me a PM with your size and we'll see if it will work for you.

Mike
ktuli
Avid Diver

Post by ktuli »

Pretty sure you're not going to get all 5 weights with that Walmart link... if you look on the direct website for the seller, $13.50 corresponds to a single 2lb soft weight...

But if you do, definitely post here so we can all load up on weights!
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

yeah, if you read the disclaimer it says it isn't necessarily showing the actual item. Extremely misleading.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Ouch, mine showed up and indeed it was only the green weight!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

yeah someone from B+S ordered, they are returning
CAPTNJACK - 2012**